330Jock

Well Known Member
Sponsor
8a Plans kit studied. But, you guys have me worried now! I need to fly my aircraft year round in cold weather. Do I need to rethink and go with the RV10 so as to have doors that close and don't leak cold air every time I fly? :confused:
Bill

Or maybe a "Showplanes Fastback kit" :D

Dads old RV-4, we used to fly in down to -25 -30 Centigrades, but it had tip up canopy... looks the same on the showplanes fastback set up.

Last edited:
8a Plans kit studied. But, you guys have me worried now! I need to fly my aircraft year round in cold weather. Do I need to rethink and go with the RV10 so as to have doors that close and don't leak cold air every time I fly? :confused:
Bill
Sliders can be made to be well sealed for flying in cold weather. I do not think you need to build a 10 just for the door sealing (unless you are rationalizing spending for the bigger plane)

Bill

No, the RV8 slider is no problem to seal, I have built 2 and flown them in very cold temps, if you take your time on the skirt and seal it correctly it ill not leak. A really good fitting skirt will buzz like blowing air between two pieces of paper. That is sloved with a little felt strip glued on the inside of the skirt.

Simple but elegant solution?

Some of the guys at OSH had installed a simple cover under the rear D of the canopy frame, with a single weatherstrip on the turtle deck at the front of the D. I plan on borrowing their idea for my -8. Materials included cloth, carbon fibre sheet, and aluminum... The weatherstrip is hidden when the canopy is closed...
105csoj.jpg
[/IMG]
2jdqbrp.jpg
33jh274.jpg
2s0oa51.jpg

FastBack Option

Do any of you have any experience with the Fastback option? Is there a difference in air noise and leakage that numerous folks have been speaking about? Is it faster? How easy is the kit to retrofit?
Bill

Slider Air leakage great and EZ fix

Folks,

I had been worried about canopy air leakage, given I will be flying year round in Calgary, Canada. I had a really good understanding of the problem and wanted a simple effective solution with nothing to carry or fiddle with. The problem, as I witnessed was in flow at the rear near/around the slider track and outflow along the sides.

I bought about 14" of heavy duty marine vinyl (black) and cut a strip just less than 6" wide. Then I glued about the first 3/4" along the back edge of the glass. As the strip was strait cut but the glass is domed and geometrically U-shaped the tension on the strip pulls it realy nicely about 2-2 1/2" from the canopy (see photo). After test flight I cut a 1" slit centered on the slide rail and that made a really good thing better. The canopy opens and closes without noticing it is there, and the air pressure differential "inflates" the seal.

For the sides I did the same with about 2" strip with bottom 1/2" glued (remember this is outflow leak). It works equally as good except that it does not self seal...i.e. once in the air you have to run a finger along to get the seal seated.

About $8 worth of vinyl, contact cement, and 1.5 hrs to remove canopy, apply and reinstall. Will see if it works well when really cold but so far OK.:D

...sorry can't seem to figure out how to post photo.:confused::mad: