Do you have one of the following on your IO-540

• No SlickStart with two standard mags?

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Impulse mag on the LH and standard on the RH?

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Janekom

Well Known Member
Patron
We have installed a SlickStart on our RV10 as the engine came with a retard magneto on the LH and a normal magneteo on the RH.

As things happen it just died on us and it is expensive. Up to now I have planned flights not to have hot starts ( as that is where the problem comes in) and cold starts without the SlickStart is a non event. I had to change the wiring temporarily and impliment a separate start switch and have the mag witch on "both". This is while I am waiting for a new unit.

I would like to know from others with an IO-540 if they use the SlickStart with retard mag, impulse mag on the LH or just two normal mags.

Other

We have the lightspeed ignition wired for starting and a bendix mag on the right side with no mechanical impulse coupler to fail. However there are no provisions for starting if the battery voltage is below the 6.5 volts required by the lightspeed.

I have a RV10 with IO-540, Slickstart with Retard Mag and normal Mag for the first 150hrs; had no problems with hot or cold starts. I now have the Slickstart with Retard Mag and EIS Elect Ignition and have no problems with hot or cold starts; I'm now at 350hrs. I spoke with a Slick Mag Tech and he said Impulse Mags were not recommended on the IO-540 because of vibration issues and failure of the impulse coupling. I have the troubleshooting info for the Slickstart if you need it

I have a G3i ignition, which provides similiar functions in the starting process as the SlickStart. I have a retard slick mag on the left. First engine start is planned for early November.

bob

Only 130 hours and I have bench tested it and it is DEAD!
It is not just the price - when this thing fails in a remote place ( we have plenty in dark Africa! ) you are in the dang big time.
The problem is that while you are cranking with a faulty SlickStart, you just flood the engine and you do not realize it.

The hint is this - when you find that it is firing or even starting (if you are lucky), the moment when you release the starter, you have a dead SlickStart. Talked to someone with a Pits Special and he did not realize he had the same problem until I told him my story.

Last edited:
I would advise caution starting on the right mag. Without a retard breaker there is a good chance of kickback on a start attempt.
I am surprised this works at all. With no impulse coupler it is hard to generate enough voltage at low rpm.

I have 85 hours on my slick start/LH retard mag. I tested it at installation and will test at each annual. I tested by disconnecting starter, removed 6 bottom plugs, had someone turn A510-2 keyswitch to "start" and held it there. Then I rotated prop through. Each plug lead will jump a 3/8" gap in firing order sequence for several degrees of rotation.

I have had a difficult time with every hot start and have tried different techniques. I would hate to try to hot start it without the slick start.

Flew Nearly 100 hrs - Miserable Experience

The RV-10 would absolutely not "hot-start" --- we flew nearly 100 hours, always having to get "jumped" if we stopped for any period of time. I finally learned that the engine (0SMOH) with no impulse on the left and none on the right needed a "Slickstart" ------- I installed a Slickstart, and life is beautiful again.

I have a G3i ignition, which provides similiar functions in the starting process as the SlickStart. I have a retard slick mag on the left. First engine start is planned for early November.
bob

I think your going to like the G3i ignition. We put one on my buddies IO-360 Cozy MkIV this summer and it really smoothed out the idle and burning about 10% fuel at cruise. I plan on one in my -10 after I get it flying. I put a Slick Start on my C-152 and it really improved starting the little O-235.

Will start on left or right!

...We have the light-speed ignition on the right and an impulse mag on the left. Seems to make the most sense to me. Allan...:D