9GT

Well Known Member
Patron
I just had my Lyc engine overhauled and it is STILL as hard to start as before the O/H. The mags have about 2400 hours on them (according to logs). They are Slick 4372's. I am going to replace or have them overhauled along with the carb & vacuum pump. My AP says that it is almost as costly to have the mags overhauled as it is to just buy new. He inspected them at the last annual and found nothing visibly wrong with them however does not have the equipment to fully test them. Timing and everything is right on,,,,,its just a bear to get started. The engine acts as though its only running on 1 of 4 cylinders for a few revolutions, then "catches" and comes to full life and runs fine after it starts . Any advice from the experts would be appreciated. :confused:

The 4372 is only a 15? lag impulse coupling, what is your timing set to? Normally lycs are 20? or 25? and that would explain to some extent your hard starting. Most folks run two 4373's (25?) and they work like a charm. You can get exchange mags at spruce, they rarely actually check what model number you return.

The 4372 is only a 15? lag impulse coupling, what is your timing set to? Normally lycs are 20? or 25? and that would explain to some extent your hard starting. Most folks run two 4373's (25?) and they work like a charm. You can get exchange mags at spruce, they rarely actually check what model number you return.

The Slick application guide does not list the 4373 as a suitable mag, but it does show the 4372's. :confused:

Do you have one of the newer light weight starters that spins the engine a lot faster at startup? I know it made a difference in starting when we got rid of our boat anchor starter and replaced it with a lightweight B&C starter.