TomVal

Well Known Member
I was hoping to fly my -8 yesterday after completing a FADEC system to Slick Magneto / API fuel injection conversion. The mags are new. The problem is that the left mag w/impulse coupling remains grounded with the P-lead attached.

• The P-lead and shielding checks okay for continuity
• The P-lead shielding is not shorted to the P-lead wire
• The P-lead is connected to the proper terminal on the mag switch
• With the P-lead disconnected, the mag timing and point opening checks okay.
• With the P-lead attached, the mag remains grounded with mag switch in left or both position.
• All leads to the ignition / start (ACS) switch checked attached to proper terminals and switch to ground tested okay
• Right terminal on mag switch jumpered to reflect a left mag w/impulse coupling installed.

The left mag was disassembled, the point gap was checked, the internal timing gear was indexed properly for left rotation. Internal contacts looked good. The mag was pinned for external timing, remounted, and timing rechecked okay. Spark plug wires checked connected to proper cylinders. Spark plugs cleaned, gapped, and pressure tested.

I am considering disconnecting the left mag P-lead and conducting an engine start.

If the engine runs okay, maybe I have a defective ignition / start switch?

Any inputs appreciated?

Thanks,

Last edited:
I also had this problem............double check the jumper wire on the ACS switch....good luck.........mike