flyinmonque

Well Known Member
HELP!!!!!Went to fuel up to leave for home in the morning and my Left Mag is DEAD! Think it's the coil, not sure, but no spark. It's a Slick 4251 my left side with an impulse coupler. Anyone with parts? Mag timer? Give me a call anytime.... cell 970-985-5569 local phone 360-659-3159 Thanks, Dave
Need to head home while the weather is good.

You must have checked this already, but a shorted P-lead could possibly be the culprit. Always check the simplest things first. This one you could confirm by disconnecting the P-lead & ground at the mag and trying it...if you get spark then you know the P-lead is shorted. Probably not it, but definitely worth testing!

What?

Are you crazy flying with those antiquated mags? :eek:

You MUST replace them ASAP with some type of ELECTRONIC ignition. If you don't, you, your family, and your entire neighborhood are in jeopardy. ;)

(Sorry, after all the grief I was given about my instance on staying with a duel P-mag setup, I just had to say that, tongue in cheek of course.)

Nothing yet....

Haven't heard from anyone local yet. Had a good window to get out at first light Fog has rolled in now. Yes I have trouble shot the leads and switch all fine. Took the top off the mag and checked for a wire arc off the condenser, fine only things left are condenser or coil failure.
Still hopeing someone local has a mag or parts on the shelf. looking for a mechanic to see if he has parts.
Thanks, Dave

Options...

I know that 'Wicks Aircraft Supply' is on the field there if you need parts. There are also several RV builders (Blackjack Sqdrn) on the field too that may be able to help. AirNav lists an Aviation Inspection & Repair business also on the field. Phone # 360-435-4411
Hope you get it going!

Got it going again......

Got it going again. Ended up using Aviation Repair and Inspection. Good People! After spending a few hours with Paul I consider him a friend. If you find yourself in need in Arlington I can highly recommend him. Hope to leave in the early AM.
dAVE

Dave,

Glad you were able to get the problem solved. What did it turn out to be?

-Rob