YellowJacket RV9

Well Known Member
Patron
I have a Slick 4371 mag that I just had IRAN'd and need to install on my O-320-E3D. I am fairly comfortable with the procedure to set the timing pin and install the mag, but wanted to confirm the direction to rotate the gear while installing the timing pin. It is marked for L rotation.

I understand I need to turn the shaft against the direction of normal rotation due to the impulse coupling, but am not sure which which direction that is, and it's hard to tell which side of the mag people are looking at when they saw CW or CCW.

In essence, my question is, if I am looking at the front end of the mag (the shaft and gear), which direction should I rotate the SHAFT, while installing the timing pin in the mag?

I hope this makes sense, thanks for the help!

Chris

Yes, Lycoming 4 cylinder engines are nearly all left hand turning engines.

Unless it is an L/I/O-XXX.

On the mag data plate, it will have an "L" on it to signify that its a LH turning type.

FYI, both the LH and RH mags are LH turning.....common mistake I have made numerous times.

Pins goes in the "L" hole.

Be super careful not to accidently rotate the mag drive gear wit the pin installed.....just saw that happen last week.

From the manual: "Rotation specifies the direction that the magneto rotor shaft
turns when viewed from the mounting end of the magneto.
Left-Hand Rotation is counterclockwise when viewed from
the magneto mounting end; Right-Hand Rotation is clockwise
when viewed from the magneto mounting end."
Therefore, you would rotate the shaft clockwise (opposite normal rotation) so as not to engage the impulse coupling. Always hold the mag away from the distributor cap so as not to be shocked if you accidentally go in the wrong direction and snap the mag.

Last edited:
From the manual: Rotation specifies the direction that the magneto rotor shaft
turns when viewed from the mounting end of the magneto.
Left-Hand Rotation is counterclockwise when viewed from
the magneto mounting end; Right-Hand Rotation is clockwise
when viewed from the magneto mounting end.

Perfect, don't know how I missed that. Thank you!

Chris

if you visualize the Mag installed on the engine and observing the mag from the aft end of the engine, a LH mag shaft rotates clockwise.