s_tones

Well Known Member
Did'ga ever almost fall asleep at the wheel?
It occurs to me that it wouldn't be hard to do.
I wonder how many FIT accidents occur due to this?
Big lunch, nice warm day, drone of airplane engine....
:eek:

I have wondered the same about some crashes. Turn on Otto and no flight following or radio talk and boom sound asleep.

Out like a light

I was flying home from Harlingen after a CAF airshow once, following the coast, and I blinked, just blinked, and somehow was teleported about 15 miles off the coast in the gulf of mexico. I had NO trouble staying alert to get to shore and land for a rest stop! Yes it is absolutely possible, and thankfully the Cessna 150 was trimmed well and flew hands off.

KB

I had just finished a long day of hopping rides for family and friends in my -8 and decided to go for one last outing "solo". The temp was perfect, and the sun was streaming through the canopy and made things just right for a nap. The afternoon thermals were fading away and the gentle rocking of the plane almost got me...
I instantly became a believer that it is possible to be lulled asleep by a machine. I wonder where she would have taken me had I succumbed...

"Next thing I knew, I was sitting on a cloud learning how to play a harp..."

It was one possible cause in the loss of a family friend many years ago...a high-time, commercial airline, ex-fighter pilot. Aircraft located, somewhat off course, uncontrolled impact with terrain, autopilot on. Suspected he fell asleep. Probably never know for sure, but it was a great loss to me and my family.