Skint

Well Known Member
Opened up my avionics package last night and started trying to figure it all out. However, there is insufficient clearance between the panel and the panel behind it. Do I just cut an opening in the other panel so the back of the SL40 mount can slip through it?

Also, if I want to stack the SL40 and the 327, what size hole should I cut in the panel?

How do you attach the mounting frames to the panel itself? There does not seam to be any hardware supplied.

Thanks

Tim

Yep, you cut a hole in the subpanel.

You attach the radio from the sides using angle brackets that you make from aluminum angle.

I can't remember the hole size but I cut small and filed to fit.

Look close at the SL40/327 cutout. You can see the simple brackets you make.

Here you go:
img2119rj4.jpg

img21601.jpg

img21591.jpg

img21661.jpg

Before I put on the last skin I think I'll reinforce the cutout I made to the subpanel using angles.

Last edited:
You should also make up a bracket to secure the radio tray to the sub panel, dont leave it cantilevered from the panel.

The hole sizes should be called out in the install manuals for each unit. Be sure to leave at least .030" between the tray, and also, the tray width between the SL and the GTX are not the same. You'll need to shim one of them on the sides so the radios can be installed and removed easily. Cut a hole in the sub panel and as others have said, secure the SL tray to the sub panel. The GTX probably won't go through the sub panel, but the SL will.

Also, don't forget that the GTX needs a small relief cut at the bottom to allow the cam pawl for the Txpdr to slide in, and the SL's need small relief cuts on the sides to allow the "ears" of the radio to slide into the panel.

Cheers,
Stein