RV-4

Well Known Member
Hello All
To anyone who has install an SL-30 to a Skyview:

I got a new to me SL-30 today that I will be connecting to a Skyview and I was wondering if I need to wire all the pins of the DB37?

The SL-30 is replacing an SL-40 ( For sale soon ) so the comm part should be already wired ( Using the same harness )

I won't be using an external CDI but will use the built in intercom.

What pins do I need to wire to get all the fonction of the SL-30 working ( NAV,ILS etc...?)

These pins seems to be natural to me but I'm not so sure about the others.

PINS: 1 to 5 , 8,

Don't know how to post the wiring diagram but could send it to anyone who need it.

I was also wondering if it is possible to wire a connector ( Power and ground)as per the diagram just to test the radio by connecting it to a 12V power supply or a battery...Any chance I might blow it up:eek:?

Thank you for your imput

Bruno Dionne
[email protected]

Not sure about the Skyview, but as I recall for my GRT, all that is needed is a serial line pair. I suspect the Dynon may be the seme.

Best to check with Stein......or just wait a while, and he will probably jump in here.

Or, check with the Dynon folks, who also monitor these pages.

Good luck.

Just wire a rs 232 out of the sl 30, doesn't matter which one as long as you configure it, and wire it to one of the dynon 232 in. I believe port 5 is reserved for the gps on the dynon. Then get into the dynon menu and set the selected serial port to the sl 30. It's really quite straight forward. I'd double check that the comm connector is the same on the sl 30 as it is on the 40. Only wire the db 37 with what you need, which is just the rs 232. Other than that you should only need to ground the intercom pin on the sl 30 and you should be good to go. If you want to power it up you should be fine, just be sure that there is an antenna connected to the comm just in case you inadvertantly hit the ptt. If you have questions just pm me and I'll be happy to help you out.

SL-30 TO SKYVIEW

Hi Guys
Thanks for the replies..

Trevor, As per the diagram , pin 4 and 5 are the RS-232 channel serial 1 ..

Pin 4 is the RxD1 ( Serial data imput ( Should go to the TX pin on the Skyview
Pin 5 is the TxD1 (Serial output ( Should go to the RX pin on the Skyview

If these two are the only one I have to connect, it will be very easy..

You're right, Port 5 is for the Dynon GPS only and it works really well.

I will check with Stein & Dynon to see what they think.

The radio is out of the a/c so pushing the PTT won't be a problem, I just want to hook it up to a battery or power supply to see if everything turns on while it is still under warranty.

If you guys think of something else, let me know.

Thanks

Bruno

Hi Guys
Thanks for the replies..

Trevor, As per the diagram , pin 4 and 5 are the RS-232 channel serial 1 ..

Pin 4 is the RxD1 ( Serial data imput ( Should go to the TX pin on the Skyview
Pin 5 is the TxD1 (Serial output ( Should go to the RX pin on the Skyview

If these two are the only one I have to connect, it will be very easy..

Thanks

Bruno

I seem to remember the serial lines have a ground (or signal neutral?) of their own.

You might want to look into that.

SL-30 TO SKYVIEW

Hi Mike
You're right.

I just looked at the diagram and Pin# 3 is the RS-232 Serial Ground which should go as far I know to one of Skyview spare ground pin ( There are a few spare pins on the DB37 connector.)

Also, what kind of antenna did you guys used for your VOR/ILS ?

I would like an Archer antenna in the wing tip but the wingtips on my -4 are riveted in place ( I didn't built the a/c )and it will be way too much work to do this job. I was thinking of one of these wire type antenna under the horizontal stab, what do you guys think of that performance wise?

Also, any good source to buy antenas that you know of?

Thank you for all your help, it is really appreciated

Bruno
[email protected]

Pop rivets?

Bruno, a friend and I removed both wingtips from his -4 in no time. Drilling the pop rivets out goes quickly and the Archer antenna does a great job. IIRC, less than an hour per wingtip.

Best,

Looks like everyone pretty much got this sorted out before I noticed it and had a chance to reply - there's a lot of smart & good folks on this board! :)

Cheers,
Stein

SL-30

Hello All
Pierre : That is not drilling the rivets ( They are the flush type ) that's bothering me but having to either repaint the wingtips ( The rivets are painted as part of the wingtips .darn...) or to install about 50 nutplates...:eek:

Edit : Pierre , did you have to install 2 antennas to have everything working?? If true then double the numbers of nutplates :)

Stein : We've got a good gang of experts on this board that's for sure..

I will probably call you tomorrow as I need an antenna for this puppy and a few other things..

Thanks

Bruno
[email protected]

Last edited:
Power to SL-30

Hello All
Tonight to power up my new to me SL-30 to check if it works ( while it still under warranty ) after its trip from the West coast, I built a connector for the Comm side only just to see if the radio will power up...

Well with just the 15 PIN connector( PIN 1 & 9 ) install it didn't power up...

Tried the same connector with my SL-40 ( Comm only ) and it power up.

My question is : Do I also need to built a connector ( DB 37 ) for the Nav side of the radio with the Pins ( 1 & 2 in this case ) for the radio to power up? I think I do but what do I know:eek:

I'm not sure if I explain it the right way but it sounds good to me ;-)

Thank you for your help

Bruno
[email protected]

IIRC, the com has its own power input.

I can get the pinout for you in the morning, if no one else posts it by then.

SL-30 PIN OUTS

Hello Mike
Thanks for the reply.

I have the Pinouts already but I just wanted to confirm with someone that what I was thinking was the right way to do it.I'm kind of a chicken when it comes to wiring and radio, I rather ask a million questions rather than blow something up:eek:

I'm gonna built a connector for the Nav side of the radio and check it to make sure it does work.

Thanks again for your help.

Bruno
[email protected]

SL-30

Hello Everyone
I would like to thank everyone who provided imput to my little crisis.:D

Situation is under control, I powered my radio and it is working like a new one..

Thanks again

Bruno
[email protected]

Last edited: