RV6_flyer

Well Known Member
Benefactor
Since I did not find an Avionics category, I am posting this navigation avionics question here.

I sent my SL30 back for a repair a few months back. Now I am noticing something that I never noticed before. (9-year old radio)

I do NOT have a speaker connected to my SL30. All audio is through a headset after it passes through my intercom.

When tuning a NAV frequency and pressing the ID button to listen to the Morse Code id, the volume control does not work. I only hear FULL Volume on the NAV radio. I do not remember it being this way before I sent the radio in to have the Comm receive side fixed. The Comm side would sound off frequency or distorted at any volume level other than FULL Loud volume.

Summary:
After the repair, volume control adjusts the Comm volume as I would expect. The volume control has NO EFFECT on the Nav side. Nav side is always full loud regardless of the position of the volume knob.

Do others see the same thing on their radio?

Please test your radio to verify its operation before posting a response. I do not need to read about others that THINK their radio works correctly buy have NOT tested it lately. Also please state if you are listening to it with a headset of speaker.

Interesting thread

I have to send my SL 30 back to Garmin for a service bulletin upgrade, does Garmin reset everything to default values when they service their equipment or do they restore the settings that were in the unit when they get it?

I did not see anything that helps on page 18 but it sounds like if I reread the manual that I read back in 2001, I will find a setting that will fix it.

It went back to Garmin through a Dealer. Garmin refuges to take product in for repair from users. The dealer did look at settings and put them back the way they were but it is possible that one setting was missed.

I worked midnight shift and have been up about 15 hours. After I get some sleep, I will go digging for the how to set the setup settings. Will check back around midnight PST to see if anyone posted anything else. I doubt that I will have time before then to re-read. Will not be able to make any changes to the radio for about 48-hours from now when I am at the airplane so no big deal.

Thanks for pointing me to a possible fix. I do not remember what I read 10-years ago. I must be getting older and forgetting. Please excuse me. (Getting older sure beats the alternative.)

Gary,

Page 30 in the link provided by Fred.

Set NAV audio to Variable (controlled by vol knob) rather than a fixed 1-100 number that it must be today.

Thanks.

Am at my hangar and just looked. NAV/COM Mixing Level was DISABLED. It is now set to 100. I have not flown the airplane but sitting in the hangar, it appears to work.

IF others have this issue, press the SYS button till you come to the NAV Options menu. Then use knobs to scroll through the menu hitting the ENT key when you got it the way you want it.

Thanks again.

Flight Test

Flight test was successful today. NAV audio now tracks the COM audio.

Changing the Software setting from DISABLE to 100 did the trick.

When all else fails, ask the FORUM. IF you do not get an answer, READ THE MANUAL.

Thanks again.