History:-
I have recently imported an RV-7A that has a SL30 but also has a blue mountain efis that needs to go. Nut said.

Plan:-
I would like to redo my panel with a 10" skyview, similar to the one in the link below, with the main differences being the analogue engine instruments on the right will be replaced with an Avmap EKP 4 and a Dynon D10A replacing the AI as a backup, to be used as an hsi.
http://www.kitplanes.com/magazine/avionics_electronics/SkyView_to_the_Rescue_9546-1.phtml

Use:-
I will be using the aircraft IFR and it has an IF ticket. We don't have WAAS here (South Africa), and no gnav approaches

What I would like to know:-
1) Can the SL30 be configured to have the primary nav output to the skyview and the secondary output to the D10A?
2) Is there enough information from the secondary nav to have the D10 function as an HSI?
3) If I were to add a G106 at some stage, would it be possible to add a switch so that the SL30 could feed the skyview *and the G106 at the same time?
4) Would a setup like this be enough to keep most of you happy for IF without adding a Gps430?

Thanks,
Mark Allison
RV-7A

The SL30 has two ways it can provide data to external devices. It has a serial interface that basically allows it to send almost everything it does and allows something to control almost everything it does over a simple three wire serial interface. It also has the traditional analog NAV signal connections for connecting to an external NAV head.

While I doubt anyone has tested this, you most likely could connect the serial output to multiple EFIS units to display data only. Only one of them could be connected and controlling the serial IN functions. This would leave one of them without the ability to control the OBS or COURSE of the SL30.

The SL30 has three ways one can control the OBS or COURSE. Over the Serial line, from an external NAV head, and internally with the built in knobs on the SL30. There are some rules around what can control what and when depending on what NAV head you have and how the SL30 is configured. This is all in the install manual.

People do use the SL30 with an EFIS and an external NAV head at the same time. You just have to decide who is going to control the OBS or COURSE. Since the NAV head is mechanical, most people end up using it because if you don't, the NAV head's course indication will always be wrong in relation to the actual course being selected on the EFIS or the SL30 itself.

Lots of options and or gotchas to watch out for when doing this....

I have 2 Skyviews, 2 ADAHRS, 2 backup battery, Dynon GPS, autopilot, SL30 set up and am very happy with that even without a 430.
Brantel is probably correct in what he says but why not consider Dynon for their engine instruments and another Skyview display for backup? It is built to work together. Adding either a D10A or G106 is more complicated, not as good and at least as much money as going dual Skyview. Spend that extra money on a couple of autopilot servos.

Thanks for the replies Brantel and Dave, much appreciated.

I would be interested to here from others who have or considered a similar setup.

Mark