N661DJ

Well Known Member
My current panel has a a Garmin SL30 driving a mechanical OBS, I would like to be able to drive the Dynon HSI ( D100, HS34) with SL30 ILS data as well as the Mid Cont. OBS. I understand that the SL30 can be configured to drive either or, but not both. Is there any way, thru some interface, to be able switch, in flight, from the Dynon to the OBS without reconfiguring the SL30.

According to the SL30 Installation Manual,

(page 30, Indicator Head Type) ... You can set up the SL30 to output Serial data to drive an EFIS, Resolver or Converter data to drive a mechanical OBS indicator. The choice is made in the setup menu, and uses separate output connectors. The Serial uses a 3-wire output while the Converter uses a D-Sub output. It appears that once you go through the setup menu and choose one output or the other, you're stuck with that output until you go through the setup process again to change it. Probably not a good idea while in flight.

SL30 Installation Manual

Some have reported that you can drive the EFIS with the serial port and the external CDI from the normal analog connections.

You must however use the mechanical CDI's OBS/Course knob to adjust....The Dynon will just become a slave unit and mirror what the other one does.

It depends on what nav head you have as to how all of this works so your results may vary since there are a few variables.

Certain nav heads used with the SL30 prevent you from being able to use the monitor feature on the standby nav channel. (I think the ones with built in converters are the ones that cause this)

Normally with just the SL30 and the Dynon, you select "None" on the nav head setup but in your case you will select whatever your head requires. The serial data is always output, this setting just decides who is controlling the course/obs and what functions are allowed.

Some have reported that you can drive the EFIS with the serial port and the external CDI from the normal analog connections.

That would jibe with it's Apollo "cousin," the GNS 480, on which you can configure to output on multiple lines (ARINC, Serial) simultaneously. Not proof, though...