FlyDave

Hi all,

I have the following avionics in my RV-6A:
Skyview HDX w/latest software
Dynon AP & control panel, Knob control panel, ADAHRS, Magnetometor, Transponder, ADS-B in/out, ARINC 429
Garmin GNC 355 w/latest software
Garmin SL30

All NAV features of the GNC355 function normally with the HDX.
With the SL30, tracking VOR's work as expected. But when trying to fly an ILS I get the following (STRANGE) behavior:

With an ILS frequency set up on the SL30 primary and the HSI source set to the SL30, I don't get an IDENT/LOC/GS unless I turn either the Khz or Mhz knobs for the standby frequency on the SL30 every second (yes, you read that right). Today I hand flew an ILS to minimums while turning one of those knobs every second or so. If I didn't turn one of those knobs every second, the IDENT/LOC/GS vanishes until I turn one of the knobs again.
This behavior seems to me to be the HDX not receiving appropriate data and switching back to another source unless I change the standby frequency on the SL30 every second.
When HSI source is Skyview GPS the "FPL SOURCE" shows "SKYVIEW". When HSI source is the GNS355 the "FPL SOURCE" shows "GNS355". When HSI source is the SL30 the "FPL SOURCE" shows "SKYVIEW".

Questions:

1. Can the SL30 be the HSI source without an active flight plan? I think it should be independent of any other nav info.
2. The SL30 sends data to Serial 3. As far as I can tell there is no way to set up a serial port as a flight plan source. Am I wrong on this?

Thanks for any input,

Dave

Hi all,

I have the following avionics in my RV-6A:
Skyview HDX w/latest software
Dynon AP & control panel, Knob control panel, ADAHRS, Magnetometor, Transponder, ADS-B in/out, ARINC 429
Garmin GNC 355 w/latest software
Garmin SL30

All NAV features of the GNC355 function normally with the HDX.
With the SL30, tracking VOR's work as expected. But when trying to fly an ILS I get the following (STRANGE) behavior:

With an ILS frequency set up on the SL30 primary and the HSI source set to the SL30, I don't get an IDENT/LOC/GS unless I turn either the Khz or Mhz knobs for the standby frequency on the SL30 every second (yes, you read that right). Today I hand flew an ILS to minimums while turning one of those knobs every second or so. If I didn't turn one of those knobs every second, the IDENT/LOC/GS vanishes until I turn one of the knobs again.
This behavior seems to me to be the HDX not receiving appropriate data and switching back to another source unless I change the standby frequency on the SL30 every second.
When HSI source is Skyview GPS the "FPL SOURCE" shows "SKYVIEW". When HSI source is the GNS355 the "FPL SOURCE" shows "GNS355". When HSI source is the SL30 the "FPL SOURCE" shows "SKYVIEW".

Questions:

1. Can the SL30 be the HSI source without an active flight plan? I think it should be independent of any other nav info.
2. The SL30 sends data to Serial 3. As far as I can tell there is no way to set up a serial port as a flight plan source. Am I wrong on this?

Thanks for any input,

Dave
Read the SL30 manual carefully. There is an internal menu with, iirc, something like 5 different choices. Again, iirc, one choice ‘pings’ the efis every second, and if it doesn’t get a proper reply it shuts down the nav. Sounds like something is set incorrectly, either the efis or sl30.

Read the SL30 manual carefully. There is an internal menu with, iirc, something like 5 different choices. Again, iirc, one choice ‘pings’ the efis every second, and if it doesn’t get a proper reply it shuts down the nav. Sounds like something is set incorrectly, either the efis or sl30.
See page 34 of the SL-30 manual, if RS232 TX is set to SERIAL it expects serial OBS data at 1HZ or the unit will flag. On my setup with the older Dynon D100 and HS34 I have the indicator head type set to NONE and everything works as expected. The same setting also works with the AV-30E new HSI module and negates the need to have bi-directional RS232 connectivity to the single port on the SL-30 so that the RX side can be used for frequency upload into the standby comms slot.
Hope this helps.
Figs

See page 34 of the SL-30 manual, if RS232 TX is set to SERIAL it expects serial OBS data at 1HZ or the unit will flag. On my setup with the older Dynon D100 and HS34 I have the indicator head type set to NONE and everything works as expected. The same setting also works with the AV-30E new HSI module and negates the need to have bi-directional RS232 connectivity to the single port on the SL-30 so that the RX side can be used for frequency upload into the standby comms slot.
Hope this helps.
Figs
Guys,

Thanks for your input.
I have configured both the HDX and the SL30 per each manual. When setting the head type to “Serial” on the SL30 I don’t get the HSI at all. When setting it to “NONE” it works just as I described it in my original post.
I’m going to get a friend to go through all setting with me to make sure I’m not missing anything.
Any other ideas? Anyone….Anyone?

Dave

Guys,

Thanks for your input.
I have configured both the HDX and the SL30 per each manual. When setting the head type to “Serial” on the SL30 I don’t get the HSI at all. When setting it to “NONE” it works just as I described it in my original post.
I’m going to get a friend to go through all setting with me to make sure I’m not missing anything.
Any other ideas? Anyone….Anyone?

Dave
Is the SL-30 RS232 RX (pin 4) connected to the HDX? In my case I do not have the RX connected as I have that connected to a Aera 760 to upload comm frequencies. Also I do not have to have a flight plan, just select the SL-30 source on the HS34 and everything works including course/OBS selection on the Dynon. It does sound like a configuration issue. I assume when you select the SL-30 source you get green needles?
Figs

Is the SL-30 RS232 RX (pin 4) connected to the HDX? In my case I do not have the RX connected as I have that connected to a Aera 760 to upload comm frequencies. Also I do not have to have a flight plan, just select the SL-30 source on the HS34 and everything works including course/OBS selection on the Dynon. It does sound like a configuration issue. I assume when you select the SL-30 source you get green needles?
Figs
Figs,

I haven’t dug into the physical configuration yet so not sure about pin 4.
Yes, I do get a full green HSI for the SL30 and it provides correct lateral and vertical guidance when hand flying or AP coupled - as long as I keep twisting the standby frequency knobs. It’s annoying and frustrating and I’m sure I’m just one parameter away from resolution. Just one little effing configuration change!

Dave