recapen

Well Known Member
The plastic display screen cover on my SL-70 is getting ready to fall off like the one that came off of my SL-30 recently. The local guy on the field indicates that Garmin is no longer supporting the SL-70.

Anyone know where I can get a replacement screen cover? It looks like the SL-30 part should fit - even if it is labelled wrong. A look at the two maintenance manuals would help - as would knowing who makes the SL-30 replacement parts for Garmin...

Any help out there? The unit performs nicely - it would be a shame to have to replace it due to a piece of plastic!

Thanks,
Ralph

Manuals

Ralph,

Here is the SL-70 installation manual. It has a lot of details of physical sizes of the unit. http://www.aeroelectric.com/Installation_Data/Garmin/SL70_IM.pdf

Here is the SL-30. http://www.aeroelectric.com/Installation_Data/Garmin/SL30_IM.pdf

You might try Wentworth Aviation. http://www.wentworthaircraft.com/ they have all sorts of used parts. They might have a an old one that is not working that they could scavenge the front off of for you. I talked with them when buying my SL-30 last year, and they were very helpful.

Geoff

Thanks Geoff for the manual links and for the link to Wentworth - I'll zap them.

I'm also looking for the Tech maintenance manuals that the Garmin guys use for repair as it should have exploded diagrams as well as replacement part numbers.

One step forward.....

sl-70

I have a dead sl-70 that is in very nice condition. If you can salvage the parts you need they are yours for shipping costs.

OK - I'm game - can you take a picture of the front of the unit so I can see the screen? PM with shipping estimate - I'll probably take it anyway.
Thanks

If you are talking about the lens then you should still be able to get that. I have gotten replacement lens for both my SL-30 & SL-70. You need a dealer who can, and is willing, to order it. I used Avionics Unlimited in Conroe, TX. Johnny Blaine, (936) 788-7333. They happen to be near me but do a lot of eBay and remote sales. The SL-30 lens had the Garmin name rather than Apollo and the SL-70 had no logo. They were ~$60 each IIRC.

Shout OUT

A big shout for Doug Reeves...
Where else can you go from ORPHAN to solution...
in a few clicks?
Members willing to help out... priceless

I'll try to remember to post which option(s) actually work out!

Thanks to all who responded!

Wentworth responded - they don't sell the lens.

Still have a number of irons in the fire...

Thanks for the suggestions!

Stein doesn't have them either.

One e-mail without a response and a line on a used SL70 (broke internally) with a good cover plate....more on that later after I get it in and back together!

Thanks again to all who responded!

Is it just the lens? I'm assuming that it's just a small piece of flat acrylic

that would be a very easy thing to make on a CNC router.

can you post a picture of what you need?

Thanks to 868RM

One of our forum readers had an SL70 that was otherwise dead...
Its faceplate will experience the joys of flight once again.

The SL-30 will soon be back from the shop undergoing the same repair - still supported by Garmin.

Meanwhile, thanks again for giving my SL-70 some more flight hours!