recapen

Well Known Member
There are only a few VOR's remaining out here.
SBY is NOTAM'ed as UNUSBL in most directions and altitudes below 5000 to 7000'.
ATR is NOTAM'ed as UNUSBL in a few directions and altitudes - mostly around North.
SWL is NOTAM'ed as UNUSBL in most directions and altitudes below 1500 to 9000'.
CCV is NOTAM'ed as UNUSBL in a few directions and altitudes - mostly around 127-332.
ENO is NOTAM'ed as UNUSBL in a few directions and altitudes below 3000 to 4900'.
DQO is NOTAM'ed as UNUSBL in a few directions and altitudes below 3000 to 4900'.
SIE is NOTAM'ed as UNUSBL in a few directions and altitudes below 3900 to 7000'.

The result is that if you want to keep up with your VOR navigation skills - practicing around here is tricky.
More importantly, if you have a flaky / questionable NAV radio (like me) testing functionality is tricky.

Anyone out here flown to any of these lately? What approach directions (Heading and T/F) and altitudes worked?

Thanks!

I use to be based at an airport without a VOT but there was an airborne VOR test point over the airport. My SL-30 with Archer VOR antenna could pick the signal up on the ground as I taxi but POM was only 5.3 Nm away on the 053 radal. I also would check the signal doing a left 270 departure over the airport.

The chart supplement shows a VOR test checkpoint on the ground at KSBY.
Might need a bit more info.
Looked in CS_NE_20240516 and NE_3 both from the FAA website - can't find any mention of a VOT... (they don't use the acronym).
The CS_NE says it is there in the runup area for RWY5 and gives the freq but I can find the indicator in the diagram...

Last edited:
Might need a bit more info.
Looked in CS_NE_20240516 and NE_3 both from the FAA website - can't find any mention of a VOT... (they don't use the acronym).
The CS_NE says it is there in the runup area for RWY5 and gives the freq but I can find the indicator in the diagram...

VOR receiver test facilities and checkpoints are listed in section 4 of the chart supplement - here's a screenshot:

1719171826777.png

Thanks - I was initially confused till I did some more reading...
No VOT here - it is a VOR Checkpoint for the real SBY VOR.
Non-Stop education...

Thanks again....