RV8R999

Well Known Member
What kind of reception ranges do you typically see using an SL-30 and Archer wingtip antenna?

Thanks!

I can usually get low altitude VOR's about 40 miles away if I'm below 4K. Higher altitude and hi VOR's I can get up to about 75 miles.

SL30 and Archer

I have an SL30 with a Bob Archer VOR/ILS wingtip antenna and get ~80 miles VOR reception at 5K' and above. I also have a Bob Archer VHF antenna in the other wingtip, and its reception is dependent on angle off and altitude, dependable at 40 miles no matter, but less dependable at greater range if level and on opposite side of plane from antenna. Excellent long range reception from above or below.

Last edited:
thanks fellas -

I'm getting about 45nm max at 8K. Used 400RG with one BNC at the wing root.

Installed ant per directions, except that I used 3 grounding straps rather than taking out the blind nuts and re-riveting the ant in between. I might add another couple ground straps just for good measure.

Grounding is the key

My glide slope was totally unreliable with grounding straps. I called Bob Archer and told him my symptoms and he said that it really needs to be grounded to the whole strip of wing end to work properly. I drilled out the nut plates and reinstalled as per instructions and it works like a champ.

My glide slope was totally unreliable with grounding straps. I called Bob Archer and told him my symptoms and he said that it really needs to be grounded to the whole strip of wing end to work properly. I drilled out the nut plates and reinstalled as per instructions and it works like a champ.

thanks! From an electrical standpoint it doesn't make much sense since the ant is still only grounded through the screws making contact with the holes in both the wing and ant as the ant sits on top of the glass wing tip and doesn't actually make direct contact with any wing component but if it worked for you I'll give it a go.

thanks! From an electrical standpoint it doesn't make much sense since the ant is still only grounded through the screws making contact with the holes in both the wing and ant as the ant sits on top of the glass wing tip and doesn't actually make direct contact with any wing component but if it worked for you I'll give it a go.

Well, the way I did mine was to take out the nutplates and all the rivets holding the aluminum strip inside the wingtip and slide the antenna under the strip so the whole grounded side of the antennae was contacting the strip. Much more of a grounding plane according to Bob Archer. I had to redo 4 nutplates and 5 or 6 rivets to get in to slide under. This photo shows the way I had it when it wouldn't work, but you can see the 4 nutplates and rivets I had to take out to get it right. I also removed the jumper wire to the grounding post on the antennae.

7166187716_f1b02d634b_c.jpg