Jamie

Well Known Member
Does anyone know what happens if you have an external VOR/LOC/GS indicator (i.e. MD-200-306) connected to an SL-30, but you also have the SL-30 connected to a Dynon via the serial line? Will the Dynon still display the HSI fine? I'm assuming the Dynon gets the OBS info from the SL-30, which is getting it from the MD-200-306? So you rotate the OBS knob on the MD-200-306 and you see the OBS on the Dynon changing as well?

Just playing with IFR panel upgrade options.

What happens?

It works exactlky as you suspect, which is just fine.....Mikey (the -6) is configured exactly this way.

Wrong assumption, Jamie.

The OBS must be controlled by the SL-30, not the CDI. To facilitate, when you set up the SL-30, you select "none" in the CDI calibration mode. In operation, you select OBS on the SL-30 then twist the right knob until the radial you want is displayed on it, the HSI and the CDI.

My current project is not going to have a $1700 MD200; I'll rely on just the HSI on the right side of a split screen D100. The flying -7 has a MD200 under a D-10A. I fooled with the hook-up you're thinking about and found out about the above set-up requirement. Not much worth since you can't have both an AH and HSI on the same screen.

If you do put a CDI under an AH, be forewarned you may have great difficulty not taking the CDI for a DG. Old dogs like me are very much used to that position being a DG or HSI.

John Siebold

John,

Maybe we're talking apples and oranges, but in Louise's -6, we have a D10A and D180, along with the aforementioned SL-30 and indicator. We've been flying it a lot in the past week getting Louise ready for her check ride, and usually have the AH and HSI on the D180. Twiddling the knob on the MD changes the OBS on both the SL-30 and the Dynon at the same time - everything stays synced right up. This also works if you display the HSI on the D10A (which talks to the D180 on the DSAB).

I assumed that Jaimie was talking about the HSI display on one of these - maybe you're saying it doesn't work if you JUST feed a D10A?

Anyway, that should clarify our configuration that works...

Paul

If you have another, analog CDI or HSI, than that is the OBS control. It overrides the OBS knob on the SL-30. Sure, you could turn this off, but then your analog CDI could be out of sync with the rest of the system.

If you don't have another head in the plane, then the knob on the SL-30 is your primary OBS, and you use the EFIS when you are on the ILS.

You pass your IFR checkride!

Does anyone know what happens if you have an external VOR/LOC/GS indicator (i.e. MD-200-306) connected to an SL-30, but you also have the SL-30 connected to a Dynon via the serial line? Will the Dynon still display the HSI fine? I'm assuming the Dynon gets the OBS info from the SL-30, which is getting it from the MD-200-306? So you rotate the OBS knob on the MD-200-306 and you see the OBS on the Dynon changing as well?

Just playing with IFR panel upgrade options.

It was an awesome update to Mikey's panel and made IFR flying soooooo much easier than with the previous analogue set-up. :):):)

It was an awesome update to Mikey's panel and made IFR flying soooooo much easier than with the previous analogue set-up. :):):)

Will do, Louise. I'm the type of person that always has to have a challenge. I always must be working on something, so my instrument ticket is next.

Your post about your checkride is what pushed me over the edge! Looks like my panel will end up being similar to yours in functionality after a couple of minor mods (swapping out my SL-40 for an SL-30, for example).

Your post about your checkride is what pushed me over the edge! Looks like my panel will end up being similar to yours in functionality after a couple of minor mods (swapping out my SL-40 for an SL-30, for example).

I'm honored if I provided some inspiration. You'll love the SL-30, I expect. Good luck with this new challenge!

I've got the same setup in my 6a (SL-30 Mid-Continent indicator and D-10A). Works perfectly. The OBS knob on the Mid-Cont sets the OBS in the SL-30, that information is then transfered to the Dynon. When you rotate the OBS on the Mid-Cont, the EHSI on the Dynon rotates, they are synced.

My 6A flew in 97 and has the standard 6-pack. The DG was replaced with the Dynon, I still have a vacuum AI. The Dynon defaults to HSI mode on power up. As the other poster said, the EHSI makes IFR soooooo much easier. With this setup, the EFIS page on the Dynon is a backup to my vacuum AI. Light, cheap redundancy with the added benefit of adding the EHSI. Highly recommended for those still flying "old school".