Lan Vinh Do

Well Known Member
I was on i ifr flight. I had a com failure with my sl-30. I completed the flight with my 430.
On the ground, I took the radio out, verified the antenna, the antenna connection, all the pin of the connector with my audio panel and everything was ok.
The trouble that i had was that even with the squelch on, i could not hear anything. First i screw it hard and i made some noise so i tought it was bad connection at the rear but verified all these connection and antenna and nothing loose. I then found that if i press on the ID, SEL or ENT button and hold it, i could hear the radio loud and clear !!
Look like a software problem??
I think i will need to send it to garmin.

Anybody that had this problem.? It's not a new installation. The plane is flying since 2008.

Lan Vinh Do
rv-10 c-gmce

Lost my only com (A210) over the Bay of Fundy a month ago going into Fredricton VFR. On the ground it worked again and got me home. I think it was my last flight in the RV-10 so havn't tried it since. Just got off the phone before reading your post with a build partner and plan on ordering a SL-40 so we will have two coms.
Ron

SL-30

Had a similar problem right after i installed new LED position lights.
When i turned the lights on the radio went into squelch, lights off the radio was normal. Turned out to be a bad LED bulb.

squelch

My problem was more that even with the squelch, i wasn't hearing anything. I miss my Ifr clearance before i notice that i had a com failure. I was really crossing the final approach path and was still on a heading and wasn't clear for the approach. I pull the squelch button and nothing...
When i push on the 3 button on the right, i hear the radio lound and clear

Lan Vinh Do

ribbon

I have talked to a avionic shop. they said that it's probably the ribbon connector that connect the faceplate to the processor and when i press on the button that are on the right , it just make the connection. So it may be a chep local repair.

Lan VInh Do

Fix

A friend who knew what he was dooing fix it for me. It was the ribbon that conect the the faceplate to the board that was not well install at the factory. Amazing that it work for 3 years. All good now.

Lan Vinh Do

Thanks for letting us know what it was!

It always helps if you know what you are doing...like your friend.

A fellow once told me "you only have to be 10% smarter than what you're working on".

Mark