As long as you normally get a CDI indication for VOR or LOC, the only way that could happen is the airport localizer is not working but the glideslope is. Usually the glide is out rather than the localizer. You have to be receiving the localizer signal for it to display on the HSI, kind of like an electronic flag.

Looking at the picture, I saw CVN. What! I had that plugged into my Ifly last night making plans.

Hey guys, the VOR/GS antenna is connected to my SL30 which is connected to my Dynon Skyview. I'm getting glide slope readings on ILS on the Dynon, and I'm getting bearing for VOR, but no Dynon CDI for both. CDI on SL30 works but I want to read it all off the Dynon PFD.

I've got the Garmin GNC255 that's the follow on to the SL-30 with the same setup procedures. After a lot of research and having found an obscure thread on the Dynon forum, your display will work if you select "none" for your CDI display instead of "serial" on the Garmin system setup. I know it says "serial" is for EFIS setup. Don't ask me why, but when I made the change on my Garmin, the Dynon CDI display started working. Hope this helps.

6.4.2 NAV Configuration (GNC Only)

6.4.2.1 CDI Indicator

The CDI Indicator page (Figure 6-10) allows the installer to configure the type of Course Deviation Indicator (CDI) that is connected to the GNC. The setting is based upon the connected CDI. See Table 6-6 for settings.
Figure 6-10. CDI Indicator Page Table 6-6. CDI Indicator Selections
Selection
Description

NONE (DEFAULT)
No external resolver is supported. OBS mode allows the user to edit the OBS with concentric knobs. Serial OBS update messages are supported in this mode, but the unit will not flag if updates are discontinued or are not periodic.

RESOLVER
Auto-decodes resolver setting via six-wire resolver interface. Uses internal DSP to compute course information. See Section 6.5.1 for calibration.

CONVERTER
Disables all internal OBS functions. Disables VOR monitor and allows use of conventional external converter via the composite output pin.

SERIAL
For use with serial Electronic Flight Instruments (EFIS) conforming to the Garmin Serial Data Specification. See Appendix B.

Last edited:
Karl's guess is a good one. We'd suggest checking that first as it will lead to exactly what you show on the SkyView screenshot.

If that doesn't do it, make sure you've followed all the steps on Page 4-19 of the install guide, which does list the need for the indicator head type to be set to NONE as well as a few other things.

Seeing what Karl wrote jogged my memory. I read that same post, fortunately the default is none so mine worked from the git go. If I had read the SL30 instruction carefully it would have gotten set wrong to serial.

When doing the cvn ils4, tune texico as the nav standby and monitor. On the display select bearing 1 or 2 to display the standby nav. That way you can pick up the lead radials, final fix, and be able to go to the missed approach point without a second nav radio. What a neat radio and display together!

Finally got it dialed in! Shot the VOR and ILS today with no issues. I didn't realize I could monitor a NAV freq, that's awesome!

Pro Tip: To get into the setup menu (which allows you to select NONE for CDI), hold down the arrow key and SYS buttons simultaneously then turn on SL30 power. The pilot user guide does not have this, but the install manual does.

Thanks for the help guys!