aerofurb

Well Known Member
Hopefully a simple question for the SkyView experts.

We will soon be connecting up our SkyView network - two SV-D1000 screens, EMS, transponder and autopilot.

For the ease of wiring/component location, I was planning on connecting the EMS to one screen ('SV2') and the ADAHRS and autopilot servos to the other ('SV1'). The two screens will of course be linked together.

Can someone tell me if a screen needs to be powered up to get the data across to the other one.

ie With the EMS fed to the SV2 screen, does that screen need to be 'on' for the EMS data to be received to the SV1 screen or is the data fed across regardless of power status?

The screen does not need to be powered to pass data across. The layout you describe is the exact way we designed it to be wired.

Brilliant - thanks for the prompt reply. You do realise you've done yourselves out of selling some more harnesses!!

Let the wiring begin! :)

SV1 & SV2

That's even how I labeled mine behind the panel. Like Dynon said, the other will operate everything if one is turned off. But if you take one out for some reason, some things won't work till you put it back.

That's even how I labeled mine behind the panel. Like Dynon said, the other will operate everything if one is turned off. But if you take one out for some reason, some things won't work till you put it back.

That's a good point. It's one of the reasons that I developed this gizmo: SVN wiring hub:

AXIS-9A-photo.jpg
s

You can connect both SkyView screens to it, and still have three ports for the EMS, A/P and ADAHRS. Removing one screen for any reason still provides complete operation for all of your SVN connected devices.

For dual ADAHRS and dual axis autopilot, it makes sense to use the Dynon splitters futher downstream for convenience. However, if you want to take the hub concept all the way, it can be expanded with edge connectors to connect multiple boards together.

V

AXIS-9A Wiring Hub

Vern, great idea. Couple months back I needed to send one display back for a boot issue. The dual ADAHRS were plugged into one Skyview, the EMS the other. Neither could I fly without. Dynon had it back to me quickly otherwise I would have bought another splitter cable....or two.

The only problem I see with DSAB is that even though it is a RS-485 bus, the recommendations and these wiring hubs do not follow the RS-485 standard for maximum noise immunity.

I know the Skyview has a redundant bus but since the wires are located in the same areas and will have the same connection structure, noise affecting one bus will most likely affect the other one and kill both networks.

Never have understood why Dynon does not follow the standard. Seems to me an aircraft bus would need to be bulletproof and the original DSAB bus is definately not.

Just an opinion of course and it is worth what you paid for it....

Last edited:
The only problem I see with DSAB is that even though it is a RS-485 bus, the recommendations and these wiring hubs do not follow the RS-485 standard for maximum noise immunity.

I know the Skyview has a redundant bus but since the wires are located in the same areas and will have the same connection structure, noise affecting one bus will most likely affect the other one and kill both networks.

Never have understood why Dynon does not follow the standard. Seems to me an aircraft bus would need to be bulletproof and the original DSAB bus is definately not.

Just an opinion of course and it is worth what you paid for it....

Dynon does not claim for it to be an RS-485 bus, which would require compliance to the complete ANSI standard. They may use RS-485 drivers/receivers, but the distance is (obviously) quite limited and the environment (aircraft) is actually quite benign compared to a factory floor or large vessel.

Probably the largest antagonist in an aircraft would be an improperly installed antenna cable. There are a lot of other connections in an aircraft that would be more sensitive to this, including single-ended unshield RS-232 signals that Dynon uses as well.

I'd be very surprised if the SVN is the weak link, even with multiple splitters and hubs.

Of course, I'm sure Dynon is running an error-correcting protocol as well, thats makes the SVN even more resilent.

Perhaps Dynon has an opinion...

V

Keep in mind I am a huge Dynon supporter, I believe in them and love their products. What I say below is just my opinion as I do not understand why the RS-485 standards are not followed with DSAB. This is not an attack on Dynon or their recommendations, just my way of thinking on the subject.

I also love your hubs Vern, they make a neat install out of a mess of wires. If I were building a SV system and was going to follow Dynon's recommendations, I would use em!

Does not matter what label Dynon puts on it, it is a 3 wire RS-485 bus. What it is called does not impact the robustness of the bus.

I would argue that our little airplanes are not that benign with all of the devices with PWM dimmers, PWM constant current sources, Strobe PS's, all kinds of oscillators and DC/DC converters, Stepper servos, brushed DC motors, RF transmitters, HID arcs, etc. that are included even in the simplest RV's these days. Kinda sounds like quite a harsh environment....

Most of the RS232 circuit paths are measured in inches instead of many feet. These are almost always well controlled and behind the panel. They do however occasionally suffer from the same issues that the DSAB bus experiences. It would be better if Dynon did shield these wires but that is not what we are discussing here.

The SV DSAB setup is more critical in nature than the legacy DSAB is. Since without a working DSAB network on the SV renders the system dead. There is no room for a dual DSAB failure on the SV system. If you lose a RS232 link to a handheld GPS, most likely your day is not ruined. If you lose both DSAB networks on a SV system in IMC, your a dead man unless you have a third backup...

I would like to hear Dynon's spill on what error correcting they do with the software on the SV vs the legacy DSAB system. It is hard to correct data from a network that is being swamped by some noise source. It is a well proven fact that the legacy DSAB system is not that immune to noise when installed without following the RS-485 standards. One can find dozens of reports of DSAB failures on the legacy systems in just a few minutes. I would like to know what magic could have been added to the SV system software to prevent these issues.

It is easy to check the signals on the DSAB bus with an O'scope. One day I may do a test by connecting all my devices up in an unterminated "star with long branching arms" arraingement vs one that follows the RS-485 standards for bus construction and termination. I just wonder what that data would show? Hmmm.

Dynon does not claim for it to be an RS-485 bus, which would require compliance to the complete ANSI standard. They may use RS-485 drivers/receivers, but the distance is (obviously) quite limited and the environment (aircraft) is actually quite benign compared to a factory floor or large vessel.

Probably the largest antagonist in an aircraft would be an improperly installed antenna cable. There are a lot of other connections in an aircraft that would be more sensitive to this, including single-ended unshield RS-232 signals that Dynon uses as well.

I'd be very surprised if the SVN is the weak link, even with multiple splitters and hubs.

Of course, I'm sure Dynon is running an error-correcting protocol as well, thats makes the SVN even more resilent.

Perhaps Dynon has an opinion...

V

Last edited: