Junglepilot

Well Known Member
I'm at the point of installing the wiring and all & waiting on the Dynon unit.

I spoke with avionics company nearby and owner said he usually wires the Dynon directly into the main bus. Hmmm. I checked Dynon user manual and it says you may have the Dynon on at startup. I even called Dynon and a tech guy verified that and also said you would need back-up battery option to keep unit from rebooting if you do start up with Dynon on.

I'm old school I guess and used to flipping on Radio Master (which is where I thought I would put the Dynon power at first) after startup and have some type of analog oil pressure gauge for start-up. This would greatly simplify things for sure. But....

So what has been everyone else's (Dynon users) experience? Is this OK in real-life day-to-day ops, to have on at start-up? Issues, glitches? Wired yours on the Main bus?

Thanks,

Sandy

I just wired mine on the avionics buss, but since it has the internal battery, it can be on when I start up. Then, once I flip the avionics master switch after startup, the Dynon will begin using master power. Seems to be the best of all worlds to me.

We have two Skyview screens in our RV-10. The 7" is in front of the co-pilot and I don't think it is connected to an aux battery. We have the 7" set for the engine monitor most of the time. It is on the master switch, for engine parameters for start up. It has never shut down to the best of my knowledge in the 50 hrs we have on our ac. We have the pilot's side 10", on the avionics buss and/or emergency buss and it definitly has the Dynon aux battery. Perhaps the Dynon battery feeds both units but I don't think it is designed that way. Dynon says start up is not a concern, but we wanted out pilot Skyview set up so in an emergency the master could be turned off and we would have all the necessities if the emergency buss was outside the troubled area.
On a side note if at all possible (roam) I would suggest two 10" screens.
Ron

All of Dynon's products are designed to be on during engine start. We design to the TSO requirements for power for 28V airplanes, which requites 60V tolerance. We've never once heard of a unit being damaged by any start up transient.

SkyView and the EMS-D10 and D120 will operate down to 6V even without a backup battery, which means with a good aircraft battery they should stay on in most conditions, but will sometimes reboot. The EMS-D10 and D120 reboot so quickly this is not really an issue. For SkyView and the D180, a backup battery is recommended if you want 100% reliability at start, especially as your aircraft battery ages.

Remember, if you add a mechanical oil pressure gauge, it must be wired to it's own sender, you cannot share the one with the Dynon EMS.

Thanks

Thanks again to everyone for the the good responses and you too Dynon.

I'll stick with the SV on the main bus for now as I have it.

Thanks,

Sandy