According to the installation manual the intercom threaded bushings around the squelch and volume pots should protrude enough to be able to use the large nuts for securing the intercom to the panel. With my panel the bushings do not come through the panel and the stiffner behind it. I have removed the nuts and it looks like I would need at least another 3/16" to get through. Right now it is held in place by the two #4/#5 screws. Not good enough to be secure if there is any kind of vibration or turbulence. Have I missed something or what has any one else done?
Henry

The threaded bushings will only protrude when using the large control panel. When using the small panel (like in the RV-12) you only use the 4-40 non magnetic screws. I had the same feelings that it was not good enough but after installation it's really rigid.

See page 2 of the installation manual: Flightcom 403 manual

Same here, just toss the nuts, the screws will hold it just fine I am sure.
vgpg1t.jpg

Same here, just toss the nuts, the screws will hold it just fine I am sure.

RV-12 builders, please do not follow this advice.
Follow the Flight com installation instructions (and RV-12 plans), and install the intercom using the screws, without removing the nuts.
The nuts anchor the two potentiometers to the case of the intercom. If you remove the nuts, all lateral forces applied to the knobs will be transferred to the solder connections internally on the PCB board (not a good thing for longevity)

Hi Don,

I like the colour of your panel. Do you mind sharing the code/colour? I am installing the engine at the moment but thought I would order the panels and get them powder coated. I don't have the Avionics yet.

It looks like I may need some other parts which have to be riveted to the back of the panel before powder coating?

Were you able to get a blank right panel for your second Sky View screen?

Cheers

Julian 120316

Good advice, I had noticed that fact earlier on, but forgot about it when I mounted it. Yep, the knobs will push in on the soldered connections, not good. I will redo mine for sure.

RV-12 builders, please do not follow this advice.
Follow the Flight com installation instructions (and RV-12 plans), and install the intercom using the screws, without removing the nuts.
The nuts anchor the two potentiometers to the case of the intercom. If you remove the nuts, all lateral forces applied to the knobs will be transferred to the solder connections internally on the PCB board (not a good thing for longevity)

It is just rattle can Wal Mart acquired textured paint over self etching primer, many of us have used it inside the cockpit with good success.. They make two blacks, this is the smoother one without metalflake in it.
So far I have put the 4 USB port in the one hole on the right, not sure what to use to plug the other one, probably an N number tag..
Powder coat is great stuff, I suspect enough changes in my panel until I am satisfied that rattle can finish is fine for me.
2akjlmo.jpg
[/IMG]
Hi Don,

I like the colour of your panel. Do you mind sharing the code/colour? I am installing the engine at the moment but thought I would order the panels and get them powder coated. I don't have the Avionics yet.

It looks like I may need some other parts which have to be riveted to the back of the panel before powder coating?

Were you able to get a blank right panel for your second Sky View screen?

Cheers

Julian 120316

"Follow the Flight com installation instructions (and RV-12 plans), and install the intercom using the screws, without removing the nuts."

The Flightcom instructions (Page3, Figure 3) do not correspond to the RV-12 Plans (Page 42C-14, Figure 1.)

Flightcom states emphatically "Do NOT remove these nuts." Vans shows the nuts removed and on the aft side of the panel and under the Faceplate. There are also a pair of washers under the nuts, which Vans ignores.

Bob Bogash
N737G

"So far I have put the 4 USB port in the one hole on the right"

Don, why do you have four USB ports?

Also, what is that red button or light to the left of your ELT panel?

Bob Bogash
N737G

Well I like gadgets, it was available and I figure my smart phone, my IPad, my laptop and by the time I get flying I will have another gadget.
The red button is the AP disconnect, I had to relocate it. I already changed the panel, had a spare airspeed indicator laying around doing nothing.
wbtg7c.jpg
[/IMG]
"So far I have put the 4 USB port in the one hole on the right"

Don, why do you have four USB ports?

Also, what is that red button or light to the left of your ELT panel?

Bob Bogash
N737G