petersb

Well Known Member
I was told by Dynon that the GPS display does not have roads, railways,towns etc, just airports and navaids. I do like to have this detail when flying so I can use it like a map.

What are other pilots using, a seperate GPS ? I fly from Toronto Canada and I believe there is a problem with the aviation database and/or it has to be purchased seperately, there is talk that the USA data will go 200 miles north of the border.

How does the autopilot integrate with the skyview if a seperate GPS is used to drive it.

Do the other manufacturers ( MGL, Advance etc ) have the same database issues?

Many questions, Peter

Peter,
You are correct that today we don't show a detailed "basemap" with roads and cities. We do have larger rivers and lakes, but not tiny ones. Adding this is however very high on our list and software updates are free.

Data in the USA is free because it's free from the FAA. No other country in the world gives away their data like we do. This does go some distance north of the border, but it does lack some airports even in that area. You need to buy a Jeppesen database to have accurate data in Canada, and you'll need to do this for basically every GPS out there since there are no free sources. We'll have another database soon which will hopefully cost less and have more data than Jeppesen.

We can fly off an external GPS exactly the same as an internal one. Whatever you have programmed in the GPS, we'll fly that. A single direct to or a multi-leg will all work fine.

Be aware that the aviation and basemap database are totally different databases. The roads / cities don't come from Jeppesen, they come from other places. If the detail of this stuff is crucial to you, make sure you get a screen shot of the area you care about from a prospective vendor since the level of detail and presentation can vary widely.

Good luck in your decision!

Since you ask. You can load about any map you'd like into the MGL units. Free. In the current units you can carry a vector map like your talking about and a raster map like sectionals, low alts, or topos. You can carry additional maps on a spare SD card.

Thanks for the quick response.

How many databases are there ? I have heard of the one used for the synthetic vision, the airports etc navigation database and the roads, towns etc database, is this correct?

I understand the synthetic vision database is world wide, free, covers Canada and displays terrain only so you would see a hill for example on the screen.

The navigation one would be airports, navaids etc and is used by the built in GPS combined with the $500 software to fly the autopilot.

The towns, rivers etc database would be superimposed on the navigation data when the GPS function is used. I thought Dynon had a basic database of this type recently introduced.

Regards Peter

SKYVIEW GPS DISPLAY

Hi Peter
I have a SV-700 in my RV-4 with autopilot and with the mapping software license installed.I didn't buy the Jeppensen database as of now but will at least try it next summer ( Don't fly in the winter )

If you're using the data provided for free by Dynon, you will notice that there are quite a few missing airports( CYUL :Montreal Dorval as example ) north of the border.
There is a gentleman on the Dynon forum who is providing for free ''Canadian ''database, I've try it and it does the job perfectly eventough it is missing a few details.Have a look at this link

http://openavmap.org/dynon/
The autopilot will integrate with just about any GPS who is connected to it. I'm using an AVMAP EKP IV and the autopilot follow every command.

Hope this help

Bruno
[email protected]

We get free Nav DB from GRT and can display all of those you mentioned. We can also coupled to external GPS to drive the AP including shooting ILS/GPS approaches

RV-12 Skyview Panel

So...

The old RV-12 panel with the 496 included roads and cities, and the new one using the Skyview as the GPS doesn't have roads and cities.

I'm not sure I like that.

Peter,
We did recently add our first cut at a basemap, which is political borders, like countries, states, and provinces. It doesn't have roads or cities. As I mentioned, this is very much in the plans and very high on the list, but it isn't in there today.

There are multiple databases in a SkyView unit. The first is terrain, which is free anywhere in the world. This is what lets synthetic vision work, and gives you the pretty (and useful!) top-down terrain view on the map page. This is technically broken up across a few files, but they are all free and included in the base price of a SkyView unit (you can technically buy a synthetic vision-less SkyView for $100 less, but no one does). So as long as you have the terrain databases installed, you get synthetic vision and terrain on the map.

Beyond this, you need the $500 mapping license. This is only needed once per plane, and you can try it out for the first 30 flight hours (unlimited on ground usage) for free. So for any of the databases below to display, you need to have purchased a map license (or be within the trial period):

In the map program, there is the basemap file, which adds political borders as mentioned. This is free worldwide.

Then there is the aviation database, which are airports, airspaces, and navaids. This is free in the USA, but outside the USA requires a Jeppesen subscription, or hopefully other data providers soon.

Then there's the obstacle database, which has the same terms as the aviation data- Free in the USA, pay other places.

The final database is the placemarks database, which allows a user to load data by themselves using Google earth. The functionality of this will also be greatly expanded soon.

Overall, realize that NavCanada doesn't give anyone data for free. They are a private, for profit corporation, so there is no way for a company to distribute that data for free unless they go out and collect the data themselves, which costs a lot more than just buying it!

Mehrdad,
I don't think GRT doesn't have a free, up to date Canada database, which is what the original poster was asking. You get free data in the USA, just like Dynon customers do. Outside the USA, they support Jeppesen just like we do. They might have an old DAFIF based file that they will give you for the rest of the world, but that was last updated in 2006.

Aerhed,
One issue with raster maps is that they are only images. Most customers really want the digital/vector data as well, which allows you to do things like search for an airport or a waypoint, or create flight plans. This may be perfect for some people, but it is vastly different than what someone will be expecting if they are used to a Garmin handheld or most other aviation maps. Unless the company your device is from is providing these raster maps or has partnered with an organization that aggregates them and makes them easy to install, raster maps tend to be crowd sourced, meaning you either need to do all the work to get them yourselves, or rely on someone else in the world do to it for you. Here, there can be a question of legality of acquisition of map images in a given country, since as mentioned before, outside the USA this data is subject to copyright.

Last edited:
Basemap clutter

Would roads and cities and boarders not clutter the display. I mean if you have all of that on the screen as well as IFR stuff and beacons and frequencies and etc etc.It gets pretty busy.

The reason I like the Dynon Skyview is because I feel like the image is open and has space in it.

If not I have to look through the data to find the information, if that makes sense.

I guess political boarders is OK, Highways and major cities, but not like what I see on my GPS in my car. that would be just too much.