JVolkober

Well Known Member
After spending about an hour lying in the rear fuselage pondering where I am going to run and mount the Skyview cabling, I thought I take a shot at seeking some suggestions.

Situation:

The ADAHRS is mounted in rear of tail cone. I have to connect the two AP servos, so I am dealing with two splitters and six D connections. My initial through was to mount one of the splitters under the right seat adjacent to the side, using tie wraps to secure the D connectors to the rib. I have limited space to work with the seat pan riveted in place. This splitter would capture the cable from the roll servo in the wing and the cable from the SV-1000 screen on the panel. I would run a cable from the splitter along the fuselage under the baggage compartment floor into the tail cone and connect to a splitter mounted somewhere along the longeron. This splitter would capture the pitch servo and the cable from the ADAHRS in the rear of the tail cone. Seemed reasonable until I thought about how I would hold down the D connectors, tie wrap to the longeron?, use cushion clamps on the longeron? Construct a panel to hold all the connectors and mount the panel to the longeron in some fashion?

Any thoughts on how to handle this situation would be welcome.

I used stick-on tie-wrap mounts. I also removed some of the connector shells. The shells are not necessary, add weight and bulk. They are held together with tie-wraps and secured to the bundle.

If you look carefully, you can see the tie-wrap mounts. They can be used in all kinds of places, as long as you are not stressing the adhesive. Available from Steinair.

Vern

IMG_0004.JPG

Hello John. Iam building at 9A QB. You want to install that ADAHRS unit just behind the baggage panel about 10" and if its a slider, upper part of the fuselage and just below the canopy track. I believe there are two ribs or longerons to hang a shelf for the unit. When you mount it up there, you are in the recommended distance from the skyview screen and the ADAHRS unit. There should be your autopilot servo directly below the ADAHRS unit. Dynons' Tech info pages, you can check out the dimenions. They have they have the max distances for each of your cables. I think if you wait tonite and tommorrow somebody may have pictures. I have one from a gentleman with a beautiful tray plus the 3 holes in the tray lip for the static tube airspeed and cable to the screen unit. I'll keep looking for that picture. Ron in Oregon

You could convert one side of the D-Sub connector pair into a panel mount and fabricate a small bracket to hold it in your preferred location.

I am getting around all of the Skyview hanging D-Sub connectors and splitters by making my own custom harnesses....:)

I also liked the idea of a single, dedicated cable (minimum number of connectors and no splitters) from the Skyview to the AHRS for a little more reliability - not needed if you have dual units though.

Added

On the side-by-side models, the mounting place for the pitch servo connector is nicely provided using the ty-rap method -

pitch-servo-small.jpg

Last edited:
Hello John. Iam building at 9A QB. You want to install that ADAHRS unit just behind the baggage panel about 10" and if its a slider, upper part of the fuselage and just below the canopy track. I believe there are two ribs or longerons to hang a shelf for the unit. When you mount it up there, you are in the recommended distance from the skyview screen and the ADAHRS unit. There should be your autopilot servo directly below the ADAHRS unit. Dynons' Tech info pages, you can check out the dimenions. They have they have the max distances for each of your cables. I think if you wait tonite and tommorrow somebody may have pictures. I have one from a gentleman with a beautiful tray plus the 3 holes in the tray lip for the static tube airspeed and cable to the screen unit. I'll keep looking for that picture. Ron in Oregon

I mounted mine just like this on a 6 slider. Works well. Ran tubing and cables along the left fuselage wall under the interior panels. Drilled holes in the longerons to run the tubes and cables through. You can tee the pitot line right where it comes in from the left wing. Sorry I didn't take pics.

I also removed some of the connector shells. The shells are not necessary, add weight and bulk. They are held together with tie-wraps and secured to the bundle.

Vern - I always wondered about this - do the shells provide some degree of strain relief?

Vern - I always wondered about this - do the shells provide some degree of strain relief?

Yes, they do. They work very well for connections that must plugged in/out many times. If you are building a permanent installation, then the strain relief is achieved by lacing or tie-wrapping the wiring into the bundle. This is quite common, for example on the back of instrument trays where connectors are mounted without backshells and the wire bundles are secured to the local structure .

If you think you need to be able to unplug the connections routinely, leave the shells on. Nothing wrong with leaving the shells in place for the permanent connections, just adds weight.

Vern

Last edited:
Solution

Thank you all for your input. I mounted two splitters on a panel mounted behind the baggage bulkhead on the right side above the panel to which the ELT will be attached. The top two DB9 connectors will capture the bundle from the ADAHRS and the pitch servo. The bottom two will capture the DB9 connectors for the SV-1000 and the roll servo. All the DB9 connectors will be held down with cushion clamps once the connection are complete. The bundles for the SV-1000 and roll servo will run along the right side for the fuselage underneath the baggage floor and right seat pan.

John