Dynon Aux Screen

• Yes, I would install one

Votes: 6 27.3%
  • No, I don't see the need

Votes: 11 50.0%
  • Yes, but I want it to display my HSI

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Yes, but make it out of a D2 so it can function as a backup to my SkyView, if needed

Votes: 5 22.7%

• Total voters

N941WR

Legacy Member
I'm curious how many of you would install one SkyView and a smaller aux screen, the size of the D1/D2/D10, to display just the engine instruments.

This would free up the bigger screen to display the EFIS and map/charts but would not have any buttons (to keep the price down). Reasons for the Big/Small screen option would due to limited space (RV-3, -4, & -8), cost (Don't want to purchase two larger screens), panel upgrades (Don't want to move radio stack), etc.

If there is enough of a market, maybe Dynon will produce such a thing.

(Edit: I have not spoken to Dynon about this. This poll is not tied to any future marketing / production plans. It is just an idea I had and discussed with a few people, not Dynon employees, and thought I would post it with the hopes that positive feedback might push Dynon to produce such a thing.)

Last edited:
Great Idea

Although not Dynon, this is exactly how I have my panel setup.

My right screen is for engine stuff, and the only time I ever change is is to show someone that there is other stuff available in the little magic box.

P2030033.jpg

I have been asking Dynon for a 3 inch SkyView screen for 3 years. They introduced the D1 instead. I eventually gave up and went with the 7 inch, which is barely legible as it is.

I like my D6 as the backup it is but to pack a full set of engine instruments into that small of a screen would be difficult to read I think. Plus putting map and Efis on one screen would feel cramped to me. In the grand scheme of production costs, I don't think the size of the screen is all that big in driving up the price so not sure it would be enough of a savings to draw a lot of people but as in all things...depends on price.

With that said, a larger screen on the EI commander with a layout and programming a bit easier to maneuver would be nice. Perhaps a touch screen?? Yessir! :)

Last edited:
This sounds a lot like an EMS-D10 ($1700), which is only $1,100 more than a SkyView EMS-220 engine module. What would you like this setup to do that a SkyView plus a EMS-D10 wouldn't do?

This sounds a lot like an EMS-D10 ($1700), which is only $1,100 more than a SkyView EMS-220 engine module. What would you like this setup to do that a SkyView plus a EMS-D10 wouldn't do?

But that wouldn't be an integrated system would it?

I read the request as a small, display only screen hooked up to the Skyview via the Dynon bus.

See this thread, particularly page 2, for examples of a 5% wide Engine "strip" for use primarily in cruise. Especially for us single-screen Skyview users (most RV12s). We are hoping Dynon will implement this in a future software release. It has received a lot of positive feedback on the Dynon forum. I would like dual Skyview but would really like this as an option. http://www.vansairforce.com/community/showthread.php?t=111857

Vern,

My first panel had the D10 EMS and it did a great job of displaying the engine instruments. I was very pleased with it and only replaced it when the SkyView came along.

Dynon,

As I said, I started with the D10 and really like the SkyView. This solution would move the engine instruments off the SV and leave more room for the flight instruments, moving map, and/or approach plates.

My thought on the S2 screen was to minimize your expense on hardware development. Although, you will still need to put it on the SV buss.

I'm curious how many of you would install one SkyView and a smaller aux screen, the size of the D1/D2/D10, to display just the engine instruments.
I voted "yes" but I'd rather buy a 7-inch screen if they made it work in portrait mode instead of landscape. I'd like the flexibility of using it as a general purpose second screen instead of as a dedicated engine monitor.

(I have a single 10-inch SkyView with no room for another one or even a 7-incher. I'm currently using an Android 7-inch tablet in portrait mode to display charts.)

--
Joe

Build a new panel, get two 7" to fit.

I am working with a guy (RV8) who is having two 7", one PFD one EMS. The map function will be primarily the GNS530W. This is carefully designed on CAD to get it right.

He will be able to have split EMS/MAP or PFD/MAP if he wants as well.

My solution was 2 x 7" and a 10" ...yeah I know, having a -10 is cheating :D

SkyviewInstall_zpsb0482018.jpg

This is amusing to me. I was coming here to ask if it was crazy/possible to consider a Skyview system with one 10" and one 7" screen? I'm getting way ahead of myself with this (I'm barely into the wings), but I've been playing with panel layouts just for fun/motivation.

My initial thought was two vertically stacked 7" screens, but then I saw someone's panel that was set up like you describe, with a 10" Skyview and a smaller AFS screen for engine instruments. So I got to playing with my idea and came up with this:

EtHZK9w.jpg

It's very preliminary and not complete by any means, but I like the idea of running the PFD and map in the 10" and engine instruments on the 7".

I like the Skyview system, but I have to say that the vertically-oriented G3X screens seem better-suited to the -8 panel. I'd be a very happy man if Dynon came out with portrait-oriented displays.

Last edited:
Dual Screen Dynon's

Here is my dual screen Dynon SkyView. One 10" and one 7". Use the 10" for everything but engine. 7" is for that. Use swap function to put engine on 10" for starting and run up only. Has worked great for three years.

2niv0gl.jpg

I also asked Dynon about the portrait option and letting people use three 7" as a system, and was told "No" due to the polarization of the screens. Maybe they can take something from AFS and put the engine display on the bottom of the screen. Just an idea.

Brian

As everyone in here is pointing out, you can add a second 7" screen to a SkyView for $2,600. Given this, I assume the request is for a much less expensive device to do engine monitoring only.

This is rarely a panel space issue. We have a customer with TWO 10" screens in an RV-8, and another with THREE 10" screens in an RV-6:

m9pq.jpg

IMG_0322s.jpg

I still think an EMS-D10 is the right answer if all someone wants on a small screen is the EMS. It has all the same features as the SkyView EMS, and the fact that it's not on the SV network doesn't really make a difference. I'm not sure what data you really want to share with a standalone EMS display that makes it being on the SV network a requirement.

Finally, one 10" Screen is basically 2X the screen square inches as a single 7" screen. It's almost the same height and double the width of a portrait 7" screen. Given that really nobody runs a single 7" portrait screen as their only display in the airplane, the 10" SkyView screen fits on the panel better than two 7" portraits and gives you equivalent functionality at a much lower price.

Last edited:
I still think an EMS-D10 is the right answer if all someone wants on a small screen is the EMS. It has all the same features as the SkyView EMS, and the fact that it's not on the SV network doesn't really make a difference. I'm not sure what data you really want to share with a standalone EMS display that makes it being on the SV network a requirement.

Post #12 above gives a very valid reason.

Start and run-up with the engine info on the large screen, and then switch it to the small screen for the rest of the time.

Last edited:
I already had a 10A

and elected to buy a used EMS 120 -- they will end up on the right side as dedicated engine instruments and backup EFIS. The 10 inch skyview will be on the left side.

and elected to buy a used EMS 120 -- they will end up on the right side as dedicated engine instruments and backup EFIS. The 10 inch skyview will be on the left side.

Only one problem, the D120 and D10 EMS will not work with the SkyView.

I want a fully integrated system and not one from various manufactures that work in different ways.