Airzen

Well Known Member
Folks that have Dynon autopilot with Skyview - Could you please share where have you placed the AP Disengage button.

I realize many have placed it on the control stick. I am reluctant to take that path as most of the AP I have flown have been controlled from the panel and would feel better to go the traditional route.

Also what kind of switch are you using for the disengage switch.

Thanks in advance,
Ashish

Many airplanes, from small to big have an A/P disconnect button on the stick, yoke, or sidestick (anything from an RV to an Airbus).. All the ones I know do.. So I'd say the most traditional place for it (and most convenient) is on the stick.

Curious -- what planes have you flown that didn't have it on stick/yoke?

Disc.

Folks that have Dynon autopilot with Skyview - Could you please share where have you placed the AP Disengage button.

I realize many have placed it on the control stick. I am reluctant to take that path as most of the AP I have flown have been controlled from the panel and would feel better to go the traditional route.

Also what kind of switch are you using for the disengage switch.

Thanks in advance,
Ashish

I have an 8' but I have the Tru-Trak autopilot. I do have the disconnect on the stick----but (and the reason that I'm replying to your post), in addition, I have a disconnect on the left armrest just forward of the rear throttle lever for the backseater just in case I were to become incapacitated for any reason. That switch is a simple momentary "on" pushbutton.

I include this feature in my pre-flight briefing.

Curious -- what planes have you flown that didn't have it on stick/yoke?

Mine. It's above the throttle. No problems for 1000 hrs. If I had a fighter style grip it would be on the stick, but I don't so it isn't.

next to the throttle on the bracket...

I have mine on the engine control bracket below the panel next to the throttle... works great.

img5026a.jpg

When I added Skyview and redid the panel in my -8 in 2011 I installed a disconnect button on the panel where I could see it easily without looking into the cockpit and where I could get to it easily with my left hand. It works well there for me, and I use it as Control Wheel Steering pretty often.

My current stick grip only has one button, and while I bought a more advanced Ray Allen to install I did not take the time to install it yet. The plane had been down too long by the time it came time to install a disconnect. The new grip will probably be a weekend project when the weather gets bad in January.

I have my A/P Disc button mounted on the panel just above the throttle, which works great for me.

I vote for on the stick. If you have an autopilot malfunction you will be reaching for the stick and not the panel. Every airplane I've flown (with the exception of my '58 Bonanza) has a way to disconnect the autopilot on the yoke/stick. My $.02.

Thanks..

Thanks for all the replies.

Radomir: I have flown C-182 and Bonanza's that were equipped with AP/Wing Levelers and both of them are controlled with a dedicated panel space for AP controls.

Given that I have skyview and most of the AP are controls are on the panel, it seemed natural to me to think about putting the disconnect switch there.

Also, for the folks who mounted the button on the stick. What kind of grip did you use? Currently I have the teak-grip with a single hole for PTT. All the other grips seem to have too many buttons.

Ashish

My two cents: if your autopilot can do approaches and you spot the runway 210' above the ground; or if it goes nuts; in either case you want your hand on the stick and a disconnect button where you can push it without taking your eyes inside. For most pilots that means the stick, I think a button mounted on the throttle is just as good. Other locations not as good.

If you want a disconnect switch on the panel why not just use the disconnect button on Skyview?

Here is mine. The big RED button under the transponder. Both pilot and FO can reach in and push if needed. Both can reach the throttle, so why not the disconnect.
[URL="

Last edited:
If you want a disconnect switch on the panel why not just use the disconnect button on Skyview?

We require a button to be installed somewhere. We won't let you complete autopilot setup unless you prove you have one installed.

I have it on my stick, but the display itself also has a disconnect soft button, which is what I normally use. If both of those fail, I have circuit breakers right above the throttle.

Mine is in the standard thumb location on the Infinity grip. If you're ever going to use the CWS mode it makes sense to have it there I reckon. YMMV.