bkthomps

Well Known Member
I know the skyview doesn't yet have an approach mode for the AP, but I was playing with some approaches yesterday and noticed for an ILS it will track all the way to the FAF, then it switches to TRK mode since the GPS supplies that instead (is that what everyone else is seeing?)

Then I suppose you are to turn off the AP and fly the approach by hand-

for RNAV approach, it tracks the NAV on roll just fine, all the way to the numbers, for the pitch portion I simply dialed in the vertical speed required to make the DA and it flew it just fine- the question is, what are you guys doing for the missed approach? i dialed in the climb altitude then reverted to heading mode, anyone successfully done this using NAV sequencing from the 430 ?

Change the NAV source to LOC mode on the Skyview which is the legal way to do it.

The 430 stops sending GPSS at the FAF on a ILS approach.

The 430w starts sending it again at the MAP once you re-enable sequencing.

As far as I know, the 430 never stops sending aviation data so most likely after the FAP, you may be able to re-enable the AP on GPS NAV instead of GPSS and it should provide guidance, it just won't be GPSS and all the goodies that go with that. Keep in mind that this is not the legal or safest way to shoot an ILS.

Bottom line is that if you are on an ILS, you should be using a LOC/GS reciever for guidance.

Last edited:
understood, I'm doing all of this VFR- just playing with procedures and trying to build a flow

i don't fly on minimums days, just like to practice approaches

so at the FAF, you are saying then select the PFD HSI source as LOC instead of NAV

Yep, and at that point, your AP will be able to latch onto the Localizer.

But if you want to try it, you may be able to re-enable GPS NAV. The only thing is that if it does work, you won't be on GPSS, you will just be on GPS.

The Dynon fails down because the GPSS it was latched on to goes away. The 430 does that.