RV-4

Well Known Member
Hello Gents

Today I finished the installation of my Aera 796 and as such I hooked it up to my Skyview to Serial Port 1 and when I tried to set it up I couldn't find it in the list.

All the other Garmin GPS are there but not the 796...So I tried the Garmin AERA selection, 695-696 etc... and none worked..

So is there someone here or Mr. Garmin Expert or Dynon Support who could tell me what the setting are on the Skyview and the 796??

The RX and TX connection are connected to their respective opposite ( RX to TX & TX to RX )

Thank you for your help.

Bruno [email protected]

Last edited:
Any of the Garmin X96 settings will work. Just set it to 696 and you'll be fine.

Are you getting RX data incrementing in the serial page?

Did you give the GPS a function like GPS1?

What are you trying to do that isn't working?

Hi IAN

Yes I do get RX data incrementing but at a very slow rate and I don't have a presentation on the PFD when I select the 796 ( Either as a bearing (BRG 1 & 2 ) or a course on the HSI ( Nav Source ).) It is like it is not there.

I tried all the open GPS Position I had available ''GPS 1-3-4 '' Pos 1-3-4- '' and none seem to work..

Also do you know if I have to make some sort of selection on the 796 so that it can talk to the Skyview?? Like NMEA out, Baud Rate etc....

Thanks you for your time

Bruno

SKYVIEW AND 796

Hi Ian

Ok I 'll give it a try tomorrow and see how it goes and will report back.

Thanks

Bruno

Yes - baud speeds must be set the same on both devices for the serial ports.

Skyview & 796

Hi Bill

Ok,thanks for the info,I'll keep that in mind..

Bruno

P.S: I was hoping to get everything working today but I got sidetracked by a dying main battery...Showed a full charge but went dead as soon as I tried to start the engine...will install a new one tomorrow,just need to decide which one...

Skyview vs 796

Hello Gents

Today I tried the suggested set up to connect my 796 to my Skyview and it still doesn't show anywhere...

On Serial one where it is connected, I get Rx incrementing but when I select it as a Nav Source and enter a direct to waypoint, nothing shown up as either a course line or a bearing to this waypoint...

I'll re-check all connection again to see if I miss or mix something but everything else connected to my Skyview works so what's the problem...

I'll try taking a screen shot tomorrow, might be easier to troubleshoot with an actual screen picture..

Bruno

Have you made sure the setup in the Garmin is set to NORMAL not FAST? The HSI will not work on FAST (which is the default).

Skyview vs 796

Hello Support

''Have you made sure the setup in the Garmin is set to NORMAL not FAST''

Yes I did.It is set to Normal and 4800 Bauds as recommended above..

Funny that my old Avmap worked in the same location without any problems at all..

Bruno

Bruno,
We generally expect 9600 baud from those devices. What output format are you using? I think it's NMEA+VHF that we want.

Skyview vs 796

Hi Ian

I initally used 9600 but someone mentioned to use 4800 Baud which I did but I will change it back to 9600 Baud next time I'm at the hangar.

I'm using NMEA Out only.I didn,t try NMEA + VHF as I taught this set up was for someone who wanted to use the GPS to unload the frequencies to the Skyview.

I will also give that a try next time.

I will report back the results ( Probably next week as I'm going back to work tomorrow..

Thanks

Bruno