KALEWIS

Well Known Member
A little background :

Installed the skyview update harnesses and equipment and on initial tests...the GPS would not lock on a signal nor would the GPS or EMS be detected under "skyview network". The ADAHRS was not connected at the time.

Found a screen on skyview config menus with the error of

"Internal Voltage Fail -- 8V"

called dynon about the message and they said to send back the unit. dynon tested the unit and said it was fine, but to go ahead and send back the GPS antenna and EMS box....did that, and they tested ok.

The unit is on it's way back to us and i remembered a problem others had with the D180 and G496. The white GPS wire that ran to the ELT but was not used. if the shielding was not peeled back, (had not peeled the shielding back yet) it could cause a problem. I emailed VANS and they said it could cause "confusion" within the system but they were not sure about a voltage problem.

zkn389.jpg

anyone have any thoughts? i hope that was the cause. everything else is operating A-OK. fans work, trim works, radio works, lights work, intercom, etc...

"Internal Voltage Fail -- 8V"...

This comment just comes from intuition, not facts, but that message sounds an awful lot like a warning about a low internal battery, not a data problem. Did you have the unit powered on long enough for the internal battery to get charged?

Hey John ,

Skyview uses an external backup battery ... The aircraft battery was showin 12.8 volts when everything was running.

Hey John ,

Skyview uses an external backup battery ... The aircraft battery was showin 12.8 volts when everything was running.

Also - the system was powered up for a little over an hour and had a 12v 2amp charger on the battery for most of that time.

Many battery chargers put out a LARGE AC component. They are NOT meant to power your avionics. I would seriously advise against running any avioincs on a battery charger. You need a good POWER SUPPLY if you want to run your avionics on the ground for long periods of time, or turn them off and then charge the battery.

Many battery chargers put out a LARGE AC component. They are NOT meant to power your avionics. I would seriously advise against running any avioincs on a battery charger. You need a good POWER SUPPLY if you want to run your avionics on the ground for long periods of time, or turn them off and then charge the battery.

What would you suggest as a "good power supply" ? There is a lot of ground run time for configuring some skyview settings ??

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Schumacher-SpeedCharge-Battery-Maintainer-and-Charger/13005742
I bought a Schumacher SEM-1562A from Wal-Mart and leave it connected to the RV-12 while running the avionics (D-180) without a problem. It is true that a battery charger output has a large AC component. The Rotax dynamo-regulator also puts out large AC component, albeit at a higher frequency than 60HZ. Perhaps other Skyview owners can chime in with their battery charger experiences.
Kalewis, let us know when you solve the avionics problem.
Joe Gores

Well. Long story short ... Our skyview is functional. Placed it back in the panel and everything was detected. The ADAHRS reqd a firmware upgrade but no issues. Now I'm going to tell what the issue most likely was :

We taped the pins (to protect them) for the ADAHRS together to pull them thru the snap bushings. At that time we did not have the correct backshell to put them in... So they were left taped together in the tailcone. There was a power wire in that bundle. It was probably shorting out being taped together with the other pins. Yes. Feel like a moron . Haha. Glad it was something simple and of our own doing. Thanks to vans and dynon for all the troubleshooting help. The avionics kit is well designed as long as the builder doesn't get in its way. Anyhoot... All is well in skyview land.

So .... maybe that explains the error message that referred to a voltage problem? Humbling but educational. Thanks for sharing.

"Good power supplies don't come cheap..."

Yes they do! Or at least a whole lot cheaper than the ones shown in Aircraft Spruce.

As a lifelong Ham radio operator, I have a shack full of equipment running off 12 vdc (actually 13.8 vdc.) With a complete individually fused distribution system. Most hams need an excellent 12v power supply system, one which is well regulated, with minimal rippling and very low to zero rfi (emi) products that would interfere with radio reception.

I have power supplies for 1 / 4 /25/ and 30 amp continuous output. Page 2-1 of the Skyview Installation Manual gives the power requirements. The basic system draws 3.5 amps. You can add additional requirements for the Xpndr, Backup Battery, and the A/P Servos (at full torque.) A 4 amp PS ought to handle the basic system and checking out and setting up; 10 amp ought to be good for everything.

The ARRL (Ham organization) has done many bench tests of 12 vdc PS's over the years in their magazine QST. These days, most of these are light-weight "switching" power supplies.

You can go here and see quite a selection - just click on DC Power:

http://www.hamradio.com/all_products.cfm

Here is a unit I have been using daily for about 8 years and am very happy with - it got great reviews, is lightweight and quiet, has dual meters and the output voltage can be varied:

http://www.hamradio.com/detail.cfm?pid=H0-005789

Its size and carrying handle make it ideal around the airplane (as well as the ham shack) for supplying all your avionics operational requirements (it's 30 amp continuous.)

And don't use a battery charger!!!

Bob Bogash
N737G