Ironflight

VAF Moderator / Line Boy
Mentor
I tend to use a wide variety of web tools to gather information before cross-country flying - weather, charts, fuel prices and availability, etc....no one site has it all (although I find the Weathermeister seems to have the most information with the best links to others, like Skyvector....), so having a lot of tools is nice.

I like Skyvector for scrolling around the Sectional world and previewing a trip for airports and restricted areas. Today I was looking at a trip to Florida for later this week, and saw that they have added a flight planning feature - it's not more more than the ability to click on map points (airports, nav aids, intersections, or just coordinates), and get those points listed over int eh right margin - plus have a course line draw on the map. It's handy for picking potential fuel stops based on range.

I love the competition between tools and sites - it all just keeps getting better and better!

Paul

eSectionals

http://vfrcopilot.com/
eSectionals does what SkyVector does plus the ability to edit way points after drawing the line and the ability to print and the ability to save JPG's to your PDA so you have the current chart in the airplane. However eSectionals is not free.

Thanks for the plug Larry. I wish I had more time to work on RunwayFinder. I have 10 times more ideas for the site (many of them from users) than I have time to work on them. I've had a simple route plotting feature for a while as well. Guess I'll have to add navaids and make it more pretty to keep up with the Joneses.

Google Earth

I like google earth with the sectional, 3D airspaces, and real time nexrad overlays. Can't do flight planning but you can do rudimentary distance calculations in statute and nautical miles plus you get all of the other GE goodies like actual satellite images.