BigglesRV7A

Well Known Member
Gents,

Just wondering if anyone has upgraded their 149-12LS Skytec starter with the Skytec 149-NL on the horizontal intake IO-360-M1B engine?

I have the horizontal intake with air inlet snorkel moulded around the 149-12LS. This starter doesn't have any shear pin protection for kick back and looks like at some stage this has occurred with my engine. I now have a hairline crack in the forward housing on the starter. The 'NL' type has the shear pin setup and I am looking to install this type if there are no-minimal modifications to be made to the intake snorkel.

So anyone that has upgraded to the NL starter from the LS type on their IO360-M1B engine I would love to hear from you and what you discovered in terms of installation issues.

Sincerely,

I just replaced my 16 year old Skytec starter on my RV7 with Horizontal induction IO-360. The solenoid wouldn't pull in. Just clicked. Was lucky to have a husky, experienced guy prop it to get me going back home.

I don't remember the model number of it, but it is their standard for that engine, and fit in just fine with no bolt layout or other issues. It bolted up without any interference from the snorkle or anything else. It looks different in small ways but has been working 100% for at least 20 starts so far.

Learned two things that day. An injected 360 with electronic ignition can be propped. And to really appreciate friendly, experienced airport workers.

Thanks Greg,

If the new starter was the same profile as your original 16year old unit then it was most likely not the 'NL' model. The 'NL' model was only released around 2008-2010 hence my query if it will fit where the previous LS model was used. Not in terms of bolt pattern but the shape and profile around the snorkel. Thanks for your input.

Cheers.....

Last edited:
Go to the RV-14 forum and look under my post Starter disengage wire. A post there shows a photo of what you are asking I do believe.

Confirmed: NL suitable replacement for LS starter on IO360M1B engine.

Today I was able to confirm the Skytec 149 NL is a suitable replacement for the fwd facing air intake on the IO360-M1B engine instead of the Skytec 149LS. :D:D

The only modification required are the two lower Bosses (B & C) on the NL starter needed to be trimmed per the installation instructions - step #9

The NL Skytec model although 1.2 lbs heavier has a shear-pin set-up and hence in the unlikely event of a kickback, it should prevent damage to the starter and ring gear.

Cheers,