Bayou Bert

Well Known Member
I would like to get two monopole antennas for my D2, just like the
transponder antenna but different lengths.
The D2 receives on 978 and 1090MHz. So the halve wave lengths would
be 6.03 and 5.41 inches. Half of that for quarter wave, which most transponder antennas appear to be.
So if someone know where I can get the parts or someone that makes
them I sure would appreciate the direction.
I want to put them on the belly just behind the baggage area on my 9A.
Radenna says they can be up to 8' from the receiver or more with use of
a good quality coax. They are receive only so little more than a 1' apart
should work good.
Direction, comments appreciated.

Stein Air

Contact Stein Air, they fixed me up.

I'm not flying yet but they set me up with the antennas.

I'm sure, considering the VF fan base, an actual radio engineer will reply but I believe the ADS-B ground stations use vertically polarized antennas. My little home-made 1/4 wave picked up stations over 100 NM away. I've also heard you can just use a plain old transponder ball-whip antenna (1090) and it'll pick up 978. Since you're not transmitting on 978 the higher-SWR is not much of an issue.

You can just try it in a temporary mount inside the plane next to a window (canopy) and see what you get before you punch holes in the plane. Search for forums for external stratus antenna if you want to see a cheap 1/4 wave I built. PM me if you want build one and I'll help you find the parts.

I put two regular transponder stick antennas on the left wing fairing just behind the gear leg and they work like a champ with my SkyRadar D2

Great

Thanks Jerry, that's what I was hoping to see.
Someone who had done it. Being a ham, I couldn't help
but try to get them on the exact frequency, but if the
xpond ant work..fantastic.
My transponder ant is centered about 6" aft of FW, is yours close
to your D2 ant?
Thanks much

SkyRadar recommends using a DME antenna for 978, a transponder antenna for 1090 MHz.
I found some inexpensive 50 ohm coax with SMA connectors (male one end, female the other) on the internet and just extended the built in antennas up to my fiberglass door posts (RV10), where they are taped on. I have not yet done any extensive testing but they do work locally.

Thanks Jerry, that's what I was hoping to see.
Someone who had done it. Being a ham, I couldn't help
but try to get them on the exact frequency, but if the
xpond ant work..fantastic.
My transponder ant is centered about 6" aft of FW, is yours close
to your D2 ant?
Thanks much

My transponder antennae is about 8 inches left of centerline about even with rear stick position on an 8.