FYI

I Contacted SkyRadar regarding their D2 Model, and asked them the following:

Are there any plans to add a version of your D2 that will require a single antenna input? Since it's a receiver only and the 978 and 1090 MHZ frequencies are so close to one another it seems like a logical thing to do. Thanks

Alexey Zaparovanny replied with the following:

Our current SkyradarDX has internal splitter where both 978 MHz and 1090 MHz signals are taking from 978 MHz input.

I wonder why this isn't included in their installation documentation? I think this is important because who wants to poke another hole in the bottom of their airplane unnecessarily. I've never seen this discussed on any of the VAF forums, so I thought I share what I learned.

External antennas?

I have the D2, and just glued the antennas to the fiberglass door posts (-10). Works fine, picks up lots of ground stations.

I dont understand the original post on this thread. The Skyradar D2 unit ( as well as the DX) has TWO attached antennas, one for 978 MHz, one for 1090 MHz. These are shown and described as such on their website. How could it be that the 978 antenna signal is split internally and used for both frequencies? That would mean the 1090 antenna is useless. What am I missing?