kentb

Well Known Member
I am enjoying my iPad and SkyChartPro, but now have a couple of feature / enhancements to request.

1. I would like a way to find the airport by spelling it. I may not know the identifier or be able to find it on the map. Maybe hit 'direct' and then type in the name. The software could give me a list of closes matches.

2. I would would like to see Zulu time displayed on the bottom along with the trk dtk ...

3. I would like the METAR displayed in plan language.

SkyCharts instructions?

Is there a place that actually has instructions on using Sky Charts? I'm having trouble figuring out how to do a couple of things. Especially how to get the little airplane symbol to start moving. It's stuck in SoCal and I can't get it to reset someplace else. Thanks!

PS, the charts look terrific on the IPad!

Hi, Dan

The small icon in the lower left corner locks the plane to center of screen.
After that it will track and stay in the center. If you do anything with the map (zoom, pan) the plane will unlock and you will need to hit the lock icon again.

When you first start the app is ask if you want to view the documentation. There is a lot of information there, but you need to find it.

A little different then I am used to, no quite like my PC at work.

Kent

plane language

...why the heck are METARS in code anymore ANYWHERE???
Pretty sure it doesn't save teletype ink either.....
R IS IT JST ME RNTNG&CMPLNING++?

Try the FAQ first:
http://www.skycharts.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=188
And also try browsing http://www.skycharts.net for information.

However, if the plane doesn't move when YOU move, then something sounds odd. First off - do you have an iPhone or an iPad ?
If an iPad - is it the 3G version ?
If its not the 3G version you don't HAVE a gps.
If you do have an iPhone 3G/3GS OR the 3G iPad it should work - the iPhone sometimes takes a lot longer to find your location (and it helps if you are in coverage). The iPad 3G should 'find' you quickly.

Is there a place that actually has instructions on using Sky Charts? I'm having trouble figuring out how to do a couple of things. Especially how to get the little airplane symbol to start moving. It's stuck in SoCal and I can't get it to reset someplace else. Thanks!

PS, the charts look terrific on the IPad!

Thanks Kent

I'll add those to the (already too long) to-do list.
Zulu time on display will most likely only be added in the iPad.
Regarding decoding - on the iPhone it will not be decoded due to the small display, that's what the color coded/sky condition rings are for.
On the iPad however, I may want to look into decoding the data.
But hey, we're pilots, I thought we liked reading very condensed information ? :)

I am enjoying my iPad and SkyChartPro, but now have a couple of feature / enhancements to request.

1. I would like a way to find the airport by spelling it. I may not know the identifier or be able to find it on the map. Maybe hit 'direct' and then type in the name. The software could give me a list of closes matches.

2. I would would like to see Zulu time displayed on the bottom along with the trk dtk ...

On the iPhone it made perfect sense to avoid printing long sentences on a tiny display when a condensed version is already available. It does decode into colors&sky conditions though. I'll look into adding a decoder at some point.

...why the heck are METARS in code anymore ANYWHERE???
Pretty sure it doesn't save teletype ink either.....
R IS IT JST ME RNTNG&CMPLNING++?

But hey, we're pilots, I thought we liked reading very condensed information ? :)

I would still want a coded option, in any case. Once you learn a shorthand code of any sort well (or at least for me) I can read and assimilate it faster than longhand/wordy presentation.

Not saying you shouldn't have it spelled out -- just keep an option to have it both ways. :)

iOS4

Is SkyCharts compatible with iOS4 and an iPhone 3G?

I upgraded the iOS4 last night, and now I can't launch SkyCharts.

(can't wait to upgrade to the iPhone4 with iOS4...coming very soon now...)

OK, my bad... I just doubled checked in iTunes and see that version 2.1 is posted now. I will download that and give it a try.

Thanks.

Yes, please make sure to use v2.1.
Please let me know if you still have problems running it.

Heikki-

I upgraded to version 2.1, and still had problems. So, I deleted the app off of my phone, then reinstalled. Now it works great. Thanks.

Did you have the latest version before ?
I would love to find out what sometimes cause crashes on updates.
If you have the time check if you got some crashlogs and PM those to me please.

The crash logs are available here:
* Mac OS X : ~/Library/Logs/CrashReporter/MobileDevice/<DEVICE_NAME>
* Windows XP: C:\Documents and Settings\<USERNAME>\Application Data\Apple computer\Logs\CrashReporter/<DEVICE_NAME>
* Windows Vista: C:\Users\<USERNAME>\AppData\Roaming\Apple computer\Logs\CrashReporter/MobileDevice/<DEVICE_NAME>

Did you have the latest version before ?
I would love to find out what sometimes cause crashes on updates.
If you have the time check if you got some crashlogs and PM those to me please.

The crash logs are available here:
* Mac OS X : ~/Library/Logs/CrashReporter/MobileDevice/<DEVICE_NAME>

To the best of my knowledge, I had the most current version prior to 2.1

I installed the iOS4 software patch before upgrading to 2.1

I checked my Mac, nothing reported in the crashlogs.

A question, Heikki...can coordinates be entered...

...to a location, on the iPad, instead of a K type identifier?

I had a couple of fields to spray, 74 miles from here and just used the 496 but it got me wondering.

Can your destination in the iPad window be coordinates? If so, how would they be entered?

Thanks

FYI: v2.3 just got released. It shows Zulu time and the nearest airport.
If you have an iPad then you also get the 20 closest airports in the D> window.
(sorry, no way to plain text search for airport yet, I have been busy on new making charts, and I'm sure you guys will be unhappy
with their next IFR low enroute NACO release, please let them know their new charts are worse than what they had before)

Last edited:
gps over wi-fi

Heikki,
Any plans to support GPS over wi-fi? I read some stuff on your site about supporting the G-fi device (www.g-fi.com) but that it was flakey?

I'm currently using a cradlepoint wi-fi access point that allows a usb gps to be plugged into it. and then it spits out NMEA gps data on a given port number. I've played around with it a bit on some of my own apps and it seems to be working good.

Great App by the way! I mentioned that before, but compliments are still nice.

Thanks!

The cradlepoint looks interesting, please join the beta and I'll add support for it.

The jury is still out with regards to G-Fi - a lot of users complain it works well when stationary, but not when you actually need it.
If you have a G-Fi device and it works well please let me know.

Heikki,
Any plans to support GPS over wi-fi? I read some stuff on your site about supporting the G-fi device (www.g-fi.com) but that it was flakey?

I'm currently using a cradlepoint wi-fi access point that allows a usb gps to be plugged into it. and then it spits out NMEA gps data on a given port number. I've played around with it a bit on some of my own apps and it seems to be working good.

Great App by the way! I mentioned that before, but compliments are still nice.

Heikki,

I noticed on the web page someone posted something about a mountain button?? Your reply was that it was for terrain. I don't have any button like that. I have Pro, but not on an Ipad, it on my 3gs, is that why?

Thanks

GEM

Correct, its only visible on the iPad since checking for terrain is too cpu intensive.
However, the iPhone 4G is fast so maybe I could add it if you're running on an iPhone 4G.

An FAA guy stopped by yesterday..

...on Sunday!! I know him and we started talking about the iPad and Skycharts. He asked me to show him that the sectionals are current and I couldn't. Is there a way to do that? For our own benefit as well.

Thanks.

Correct, its only visible on the iPad since checking for terrain is too cpu intensive.
However, the iPhone 4G is fast so maybe I could add it if you're running on an iPhone 4G.

I just got a 4g so if you make it possible I'll let you know how it works.

Yes, Pierre it is needed.

...on Sunday!! I know him and we started talking about the iPad and Skycharts. He asked me to show him that the sectionals are current and I couldn't. Is there a way to do that? For our own benefit as well.

Thanks.

On the skychart forum, I added to the wish list a request for the expiration date to be placed in the caching page. Hope he gets to it soon.

Kent