DonFromTX

Well Known Member
Has anyone tried to use the Skybolts for the RV12 cowling? I am thinking it may be an improvement over the hinge pins.

I did not have much knowledge about RVs before starting my RV12. What little exposure to them I did have just "showed me" the piano hinge method. I was VERY unimpressed by seeing that, based on Piper and Beechcraft cowl fastening methods.

But I built my RV12 per the plans. And I am very happy with the ease of using the piano hinges for removing the top cowling and the fit it provides. Bend the pins per the plans, clean and lube them before reinserting, slick and smooth!

10 screws, 4 pins, less than 5 minutes.

The top cowl seems to have a fair amount of pressure in it in cruise flight, based on the way it bows just a but at that small cover plate where the transverse pins are secured. (Remember this is a very lightweight piece!) The piano hinges spread this force evenly over a LOT of linear distance. I am wondering if a different method like the typical quarter-turn fasteners would result in more bulges/distortions at different places. But their website does discuss Vans cowlings so I bet they have an installed base on other RV models.

The top cowl seems to have a fair amount of pressure in it in cruise flight, based on the way it bows just a but at that small cover plate where the transverse pins are secured. (Remember this is a very lightweight piece!) The piano hinges spread this force evenly over a LOT of linear distance. I am wondering if a different method like the typical quarter-turn fasteners would result in more bulges/distortions at different places. But their website does discuss Vans cowlings so I bet they have an installed base on other RV models.

It is correct, that the RV-12 cowl is not like the cowls for the rest of the models. It is wet layup epoxy (vs prepreg). It is much more flexible than the prepreg cowls for the other models. (I have no idea how the viking cowl is manufactured)

The only benefit to using the Skybolt fastener system that I see is if you want it to cost you more money, you want your airplane to be heavier, you want your airplane to look different from everyone else's

I would be prepared to reinforce the fiberglass near to the edges if necessary to prevent bulges.