DonFromTX

Well Known Member
OK, I tried to remove a skybolt today, with no success. Is there some easy way to remove the lock ring that holds them in?

Don, there is a tool that does it. I have one but have not put the rings on yet so I havent tried it.

If you don't have access to one and dont want to buy one, let me know. I can mail it to you and you can send it back.

Good luck

I appreciate your generosity, but I will need one as long as I have the skybolts. Never thought there might be a tool for that.

I have this tool, but the Skybolt web page does not mention lock ring removal, almost no instructions either so maybe I am missing something.
2cx87kk.jpg
[/IMG]

The locking rings are very hard to remove. On the SB web site they show a pick being used the "flick" them off. I made a couple of little pry bars out of music wire (heated red hot and hammered the ends to shape) to get a few off.

I heard from a good source that paint shops just break them off and use new ones. I have been using an o-ring to keep the sockets in place. Honestly, I don't know why the ring wouldn't be ok for life.

Sorry, no magic, they are a fundamental pain.

IIRC I used a small flat-bladed screwdriver to pry them off and didn't have any issues--the trick was to get the blade under one end of the clip and pry it up and over the grommet. I have MILSPEC brand but I believe the grommets and locking rings are similar if not the same.

Last edited: