tonyjohnson

Well Known Member
I am using skybolt fasteners on the firewall and hinges on the horizontal cowl joints. If I extend the hinges all the way to the firewall I will have to remove a portion of the skybolt fastener strip to accomdate the hinge. Doing so will cause the skybolt fasteners to be further apart than I would like. The area hatched with red sharpie marks would have to be removed to get the hinge all the way to the firewall.

cowljointareamn6.jpg

For those you who have used the skybolt/hinge combination.....is it necessary to extend the hinge all the way to the firewall? Will it be secure if I stop the hinge before it gets to the mounting strip for the skybolt fasteners?

Any input would be appreciated.

Hi Tony:

I have an RV-8 with the same setup. I spaced the camlocks so that I have a camlock 3/4 of an inch on each side of the joint made by the upper and lower cowl.

The camlocks keep the cowl well secured to the mounting strip. With this setup I found no need to extend the hinge to the firewall. I haven't flown yet, but the cowl has been on/off at least 1,000 times <g>. If I had to do it over again, I wouldn't change a thing.

Mike Draper
RV-8 finish

Hi Tony,
Yes...you WANT to put fasteners in the aft 'corners' of the cowl halves. If you run the horizontal hinge all the way to the firewall and then space your fasteners above/below the hinge there is a good chance that the cowl will bulge at the firewall in that area when (not if) the air blows out....plus it will look funny :eek:.

I've done a few of these on RV's (and just did it on my soon to be flying Rocket) and IMO the best way is to leave your firewall strip alone and shorten the horizontal hinges so they stop just short of the fastener strip. The cowl halves will be supported by the hinge and the fastener(s) will secure the aft corners.....one in the top half (corner) and one in the bottom half (corner).....obviously the spacing on those (corner) fasteners will be closer than the rest.

Also...I see that you may need to borrow my 'special' bucking bars to buck the lower rivets in the cowl fastener attach strip to the firewall flange as you already have your engine mounted. They've been all over the country and even Canada....let me know if you need them.....will save you from putting in those nasty pop rivets down there :eek:!

I am using skybolt fasteners on the firewall and hinges on the horizontal cowl joints. If I extend the hinges all the way to the firewall I will have to remove a portion of the skybolt fastener strip to accomdate the hinge. Doing so will cause the skybolt fasteners to be further apart than I would like. The area hatched with red sharpie marks would have to be removed to get the hinge all the way to the firewall.

cowljointareamn6.jpg

For those you who have used the skybolt/hinge combination.....is it necessary to extend the hinge all the way to the firewall? Will it be secure if I stop the hinge before it gets to the mounting strip for the skybolt fasteners?

Any input would be appreciated.

Last edited:
Thanks

Mike and Rick, Thanks for your repsonses. The more I thought about it the more logical it seemed to do as you both have suggested. I appreciate your confirmation of that.

Rick, I would appreciate the use of your special bucking bar when the time is right. Thank you for offering.

Skybolt Fastener and Cowling Hinge Joint

Tony:

I am glad to see some comments weighed in and I totally agree. The area at this rear split is one of the higher stress areas in the cowling. I am not saying that the hinge extended to the firewall will not work. However, I do believe that the fasteners need to be spaced so that they are positioned at the split. This also will have a finsihed appearance. If we need to add some fasteners to accomplish this, please let me know. The kit has enough fasteners to allow 3.5 inch spacing, but if you have committed your holes, we can work around that. Also, this is the first lot number of mounting strips and I am anxious for your feedback as to how we can improve. Once we have settled on the spacing, Skybolt will laser cut the scallops and provide these strips pre-cut. That should really make the installation easier.

Regards,

Ned

will the pin go past the mounting strip

I am reviving this thread to ask a follow on question to the original one. It seems clear that I should not take the hing all the way to the firewall but should have the hinge stop in front of the mounting strip for the camlocs.

The next question is whether the hinge pin can continue aft past the mounting strip into the firewall. Will it clear the firewall? I assume some of you out there have used camlocs (I am using skybolt fasteners) on the firewall and hinge pins on the horizontal cowl split.

Does anyone know if the pin will go past the mounting strip and into the firewall?

BTW, yes I am a slow builder.