redhawk

Well Known Member
I just had my SkyTec 149-HT quit on me on my RV4 the other day and was forced to replace it with a Kelly Aerospace as I was away from base and had to get home...(430.00 + 100.00 core - ouch!)
Now I'm stuck with a Skytec that will need a $200 overhaul and after talking with the Skytec tech he says I would be much better off with the overhauled reinstalled on the plane and getting rid of my Kelly Aerospace which "might make it to 200 hours".
Does anyone have any opinions on the two?
p.s. It looks like I'll have one or the other for sale soon !

Kelly Starters

I do not have any experence with the whole starter from Kelly but have gone through 2 drive units from Kelly on my old starter. !st one the gear Banana pealed and the 2nd one ate the bushing. Both in less than 200 hours!

Good Luck.

I'm sorry for your problems but both have quality issues. I think it is somewhat laughable that Sky-Tec would throw stones at anyone given their obvious quality issues.

Give a choice between the two, I would go with the Sky-tec. However, I would either buy a NL starter or go with a B&C, but I know you don't want to buy another one. See if they will trade in your HT for a NL.