I have a Superior XP-IO-360 with a Precision Fuel Injection System. My RV8 & Engine have 430 hours TT. I currently own my second Sky Tec 149LS starter (it has 108 hours on it).

Yesterday, on start up for a formation routine (not just a practice hop), my starter was DEAD when I turned the key. Multiple times! I had no previous warning or battery issues, etc. The team took off without me and did the national anthem overhead pass. By the time they got back, I had taken the cowl off and banged on the starter and the thing fired right up. I have now had it start successfully three times in the past 24 hours.

When I spoke with Sky Tec this morning, they said to send it in for R&R. One of my KC Flight team-mates said not to mess with the 149LS and go with the "High Torque" 149NL.

Here's the problem I need your help on: The throttle linkage connected to the Precision Injection system sits right behind (aft of) the starter. No problem there, but the "NL" starter is significantly longer and would interfere.

Do any of you use a similar engine set up with the NL starter? Is there a solution for me; or must I stay with the "LS"?

I have two photos (JPEG) that I intended to attach to this, but I don't have them loaded in "Photo Bucket" or any other bucket for that matter.

Thank you for your help.

Keith Vasey

I have had the same problem 3 times with that starter. It was the solenoid each time. It would only fail to work if the engine was heat soaked from a recent flight. Mostly the 30 minute to 1 hour window after a flight. Let it cool a bit and it starts up fine.
New Solenoid on now skytec says should fix the issue. Time will tell.
George

Keith,
Although I can't directly answer your question I will say that the person I purchased my -7 from said that he went through 2 starters and on the 3rd one he finally purchased the high torque one. The plane had less than 500 hours when he was on the 3rd (hopefully the last for a while) starter. I hope you can figure out how to change it. (BTW, I have a 0-360 with a wood prop and he said that SkyTec said the reason for the starter going bad was that it was hard to turn the prop because it's so light . . . I guess :rolleyes: )

Thank you for the input. Sky Tec said they came up with a new solenoid about a year ago and that they will install that on my unit. If that is the only issue, I should be back at it.

Since I joined the KC Flight team my -8 is more than just a recreational outlet. Suddenly, I need reliability.

Keith Vasey

Keith, when you get the starter back take it to a auto supply and pick up a spare solenoid. You can change them out in about 5 minutes not counting the cowling. They told me their new solenoid would fix the problem also. Let's hope so!

George

You may also want to check out the B&C unit, a very nice compact wirewound starter.

Wonder what's changed? I just retired (actually, exchanged old starter for new) my 1560 hr, 13.5 yr old SkyTec off a failed O-320 and it was still working just fine. Never once failed to turn the engine when commanded. I put a Sky-Tec on this latest engine (swapped as the new engine needed different starter).

I know I'm off topic, but wanted to offer a data point for the Sky-Tec product.

Keith, when you get the starter back take it to a auto supply and pick up a spare solenoid. You can change them out in about 5 minutes not counting the cowling. They told me their new solenoid would fix the problem also. Let's hope so!

George

I am having exactly this issue and would love to have a spare solenoid. Do you have a reference or part number?

I don't, there was a thread on here with part numbers but I can't seem to find it. I do have the old solenoid and can get it matched at a auto parts however will be next week before I can do it. I think it was a mustang part. Their new solenoid is not supposed to be a auto part so hopefully it's better.

George

Thanks

Mine was replaced in November though, so its still under warranty. I'll just send it in to them after the KC formation clinic.