LR2001

My starter quit on me so I need to replace it, and will be using the upgrade program from Sky-Tec to get a new one for about half price.

Has anyone fit their HT model to an RV? (Specifically a -7A with an O-360)?

By default they recommend their NL model as an upgrade. The NL has a replaceable shear pin to protect from kickback, but requires you to disassemble the starter to access it. The HT has a self-resetting clutch system for kickback protection, which sounds a lot more attractive. (Assuming it fits under the cowl).

Any thoughts on either option would be appreciated!

Thanks,
Matt

no one has mention a B&C starter for the IO 360. I was thinking if I replace mind i would consider B&C as they are less hard on the battery than the Sky-tec. Which I have now.
I do not know for certain this is true, only told to me by another. Maybe someone out there in cyber build know for certain?

Dave

no one has mention a B&C starter for the IO 360. I was thinking if I replace mind i would consider B&C as they are less hard on the battery than the Sky-tec. Which I have now.
I do not know for certain this is true, only told to me by another. Maybe someone out there in cyber build know for certain?

Dave

I concur Dave. I purchased an early version Skytec which would barely turn over my O-360. Replaced with a B&C and I could almost taxi while starting.

The Skytec NL and HT are both wire wound starters, same as the B&C. The B&C is definately a good unit but I have installed a number of Skytec NL starters and they have worked great.

The lightweight permanent magnet 'PM' starter isn't that great and is a real current hog.

recently replaced a lightweight with an NL and like it much better. There are now several RV's here with NL starters and everyone is happy with their choice. Larry

I got the HT for my O-320. I am not flying yet - in fact it is still in the box, but that is the one recommended to me by several people. I wish I was ready to give it a try.

Wonder how the Hartzell stacks up against the new Sky-Tec XLT series. At least by the numbers on paper, the Sky-Tec XLT is the lightest one out there - 6.8 vs Hartzell X-Series' 7.6. Though the Hartzell X series is cheaper by around $60 or so. Not one I'd heard of, but looks like I might have to talk with the Hartzell guys this coming OSH.

Skytec rebuild program

Matt
Just overhauled a O360 with 2460hrs with the Skytec never touched.
Sent in the starter ($200 overhaul,cheap). Looked like new!!!
The magnets were loose and evidence of kickback, I was told.
I have had three Pitts S1's, all with B&C starters...believe in them too.
The B&C's never failed. Can't say enough about them.
John

Wonder how the Hartzell stacks up against the new Sky-Tec XLT series. At least by the numbers on paper, the Sky-Tec XLT is the lightest one out there - 6.8 vs Hartzell X-Series' 7.6. Though the Hartzell X series is cheaper by around $60 or so. Not one I'd heard of, but looks like I might have to talk with the Hartzell guys this coming OSH.

The XLT wasn't available when I did my upgrade, but you are correct that is lighter than the X drive. When it first came out, it wasn't PMA'd, but it looks like they took care of that too.

I find value in the ability of the X drive to spin my engine with a lower battery, but some people may find more value in higher cranking RPM, especially with Fuel Injection. That is the only real significant difference between the two. I'm very interested for a field report on the XLT.

HT starter

Matt,

Also sent a PM.

I have a older version of the HT starter. New, never installed as it would not fit on my rocket under the tight cowl. Just sitting around, if interested, $200 plus shipping.

Brian