N941WR

Legacy Member
My -9 will not get painted for at least a year, or 100 hours, whichever comes last. ;)

However, after flying it for a month and 46 hours I decided to take the cowling home and paint them primmer gray. The only problem is I used Sky Bolt fasteners and I was wondering if there is a trick or special tool to remove the retaining ring.

I have tried using a small pick and only succeeded in sticking my hand and fingers a few times.

Thanks for the help.

Bill

There may be a better way, but I was able to get it done using one of those micro flathead screwdrivers - the ones that you can buy as a set and come in a small case from your local hardware store. You can pry the retaining rings off by applying upward pressure near one of the ends of the retaining ring. Some of mine came off quickly, others I had to work on for awhile. I was able to complete the job in around 45 minutes with only occasional cussing. By the time I was done I had refined my technique to speed up the process, but I do need to replace the screwdriver I used now.

Not the most enjoyable job, but necessary to do a decent sanding and priming job. Suppose Im going to have to go through this once more, since my cowls are now primed, and I too intend to fly before painting.

regards

erich

Similar method

Similar to Erich's method. Get a helper and use 2 small screw drivers. One person pries the retainer out a little and the other puts the screw driver underneath and "rings" the clip loose. Took a little practice but we had 30 of them off in about 5 minutes.

It is a PITA till you figure it out.

Mine is similar to the other methods in using a small, very thin flat blade screwdriver or a pocketknife but the trick I use is to find the split of the ring and put the business end of the tool right at one tip of the split. Then hold the ring with my finger at 180. This way the end of the ring will roll up on the grommet?s lip without spinning. At that point work around about 15 degrees with the tool and it pops off pretty easy. Keep a close eye out though, because when the ring comes off it tends to fly across the shop. If you can cup your hand over it there is less of a tendency to lose the ring in some dark corner. Hope it helps.

Jer