jsharkey

Well Known Member
Anyone put skis on an RV-6/7?

I know it's at the wrong end of the season but there was a fair amount of ski activity at 1B8 (Chapin NY) this winter including "sled and wings" gatherings on local lakes. Main culprits were a Champ and C-170. Just wondered if an RV-6 could participate one day?

Jim Sharkey

None so far

Jim,

I am monitoring ski situation constantly. I mean RV on skis. A fellow from Snowland promised me lots of credits :D if I can get a sample for him. Even if somebody is flying with those sleds, he is well under RV Radar.
Let me know if you find something we will share the credits:D

Anyone put skis on an RV-6/7?

snip

Just wondered if an RV-6 could participate one day?

Jim Sharkey

I saw a photo

of a red RV-4 in Soldotna AK on straight skis. I am seriously considering a RV-3 as I already have a 150hp engine for it. What I would like to know is axle diameter, length to brake or bearing stop and axle nut thread and how much axle ia available with the nut on. I will be able to tell you if a set of Landis 2000"s will work. (That is what I am flying on my Chief) Attle Dodge also has a welded ski pedestal affair with wood/plastic bottoms that would be easy to fabricate. Both of these folks are online. It seems to me that straight skis are the only way to go unless the is a way to attach a stub axle to the inboard side of the axle. I use Atlee dodge springs as do C-185's. I think the engine mount firewall attach bolt would work well for the fwd rigging attach, and an aft mount would probably need to be added. All the particular requirements can be found in AC43.13-2B. The skis I have seen and the installations I have made have met those requirements in a variety of ways. Not rocket science.

Andrew
-4 started and sold
dreaming again
A&P I.A. Pilot, D.O.M.

Andrew,

The stock wheel on the -3, 4, 6, 7, 8, & 9 are Cleveland 5.00x5, if that helps.

You can have custom gear legs made, if you want. Mike Ice in Anchorage had some made with longer axels so he could put larger wheels on his -9. You might want to touch base with him as he might be interested in skis.

No, I don't play well in the snow

Bill,

Thanks for the mention. I used to play in the snow but now at the first flakes I put the plane away.

Yes, I did put a longer axle on the 9 and it does have 6:00 X 6 tires.

I will never put skiis on the 9. I think it would be a great way to wreck a perfectly good airplane. I suppose if you are only planning on operating off of groomed strips it would be a cute thing to do but what for?

I think if you ever landed on a rough surface or deep snow the wings would be banging off of berms and drifts and the damage would begin.

Still it is your airplane, do it, take lots of pictures, have fun but be safe.

Mike Ice

Low Wings !!!!

Now I understand
Cub, Champ, C-170 - good
RV - bad, or at least more tricky
Jim Sharkey