RVG8tor

Well Known Member
I used dry micro to get a good match between the aft skirt and the fuselage, not flying or riveted on yet so I don't know how much lifting there is in flight. I can see flight marking on the fuselage where the skirt rubs just as it locks in place. I sprayed on some of that liquid rubber onto some scrap fiberglass and it seems to adhere well.

Has anyone tried to use the liquid rubber to prevent abrasion between the skirt and the skin? I made my liquid shim about the width of small Velcro tape thinking I might use the rug side for protection and seal but thought I would wait until flying to see how well sealed the skirt is. My other thought which I have not tested was what this stuff will do on a hot day, might just turn to tar for all I know.

Thanks for any advice or help. The liquid rubber seems like a good idea but don't know how well it holds up. It is NOT easy to scratch off of the sample I sprayed, it does show the pinholes well. I am finishing up the inside of the skirt for final install so thought this would be a good time to spray on the rubber if I go that route.

Cheers

Last edited:
I've used simple thin felt with spray adhesive on two canopy skirts so far, and it works great. Very durable as well - haven't had to replace it on the Valkyrie with 6 years of flying.

I've used simple thin felt with spray adhesive on two canopy skirts so far, and it works great. Very durable as well - haven't had to replace it on the Valkyrie with 6 years of flying.

Ditto...
I had canopy buzz on my early test flights and this fixed it.

Kind of felt

So do you guys just use standard felt fabric you get at the fabric store or is there some industrial version?

Felt from "The Home Depot" worked for me. It's about 1" wide and about 1/8-1/4 thick.

Glued it on with some 3m adhesive.

It worked perfect for most of my canopy, of course there is a little work needed in the back because someone :rolleyes: who build the airplane got tired of messing with the fiberglass!

Oh well, I guess that someone has to get more felt :D