MarkW

Well Known Member
Friend
When I received my empennage, the r. elevator skin had a small fold on the trailing edge corner. Just enough to create a wrinkle. I kept building but am now about to close the trailing edge and figured if I could do a better repair, I would try. I used my seamers to try and get it flat but doesn't look good. Is there a good way to help reduce the damage? It's on the bottom so it is not critical but if there is something I can do, I would like to.
I have been thinking about using my back rivet plate and the flush rivet set in the gun but I didn't want to do more damage. Then I notice that is how Van's recommends folding the trim tab ends. So it couldn't do much damage.
What do you think? Sorry no pictures.

My advice would be to leave it alone unless you plan to polish. An experienced body guy could probably fix it but your plan probably won't work. Try it with a piece of scrap - put a small crease in and then try to take it out using the plate and flush set.

Mark,

I'm no body guy but I did have decent luck removing a recent ding from a dropped tungsten bucking bar in the fuselage. I placed the same offending bucking bar on the "outtie" part of the ding and very lightly tapped on the inside with a 5oz plastic dead blow hammer. Stanley makes them. I think I got it on Amazon. Worked well and I don't think it will be seen after paint.

Thanks guys, I think I will leave this one alone and spend some time practicing for the next one.

Just a thought......

I'm not sure if your trailing edge has a wedged insert like the RV-10. It sounds like it does.

The plans call for you to proseal the wedge in place when you're closing it up. It might be possible to add a clamp while the proseal cures and turn the wrinkle into something that is a dip rather than a bump.

You can fill the dip with filler.

Phil