prkaye

Well Known Member
I haven't been able to find a CFI with a -9A offering transition trainign on a -9A. So I'm thinking about going with Seager, or one of the transition trainers that offers it in a -6A or -7A. My question is, how well will this transfer to my -9A? Would the similarity be just a suitable to get the training locally in a Grob 115C? Or is a -6A/-7A much closer to a -9A than the grob would be?

You should have absolutely no troubles flying a -9A even if you do transition in 6A/7A... they're not *that* different... You'll wonder what all the fuss was about..

You should have absolutely no troubles flying a -9A even if you do transition in 6A/7A... they're not *that* different...

What about the Grob 115C? Would it be almost as close? I can get the Grob training locally...

The RV-9 is the Cherokee of the homebuilt world in that it is a very forgiving, benign airplane. That said, I think your success depends on your experience. If you have any time in a "quick" homebuilt there should be no problem.

Flying with Mike Seager

Phil,

Take a look at this page on my web site. Scroll down to the entry for June 1, 2005.

http://www.n2prise.org/rv9a132.htm#May31

DSCM0042.JPG

At the end of the training Mike advised me that the longer wing span of the RV-9A requires 10 MPH slower approach speed than all the shorter wing span models. Otherwise, the handling is pretty much the same except for stalls, which are much more docile in the RV-9/9A due to the longer wings.

I took my transition training with Mike in 666RV as well. Great way to get comfy with your RV. Mike also trained the gentleman that bought my RV and helped him get it home. The new owner is happy and now flying IFR in the 7A I built. Great Training by a Great Instructor, PRICELESS!!!!

Roberta