WB-avl

Greetings,

Any info out there on adding ski carrying capabilities to a quick build fuselage?

I'm building an RV-7 but I'm interested in seeing what has been done on any models.

I have done a lot of searching on VAF and I have seen some useful stuff (Norman Hunger's mod etc.) but still looking for more good photos and details, particularly with a quick build.

Thanks,

Ski/Fishing rod tube

I am planning to add one to my -4 in the near future. Going to go the "windsock" route by cutting a circular hole in the baggage bulkhead, and sewing up a 10-12" diameter "windsock" with a closed end from nylon material that will have a support loop that attaches to the top of each fuselage bulkhead inside the tailcone. It is a very simple,and very light design, requiring very little modification. I dont have any pictures, but I have seen several done this way.

In Wing rib holes

Some have used the wing rib holes to construct tubular compartments with a hinge door in the wing tip for access. It would help keep the weight within the allowable C of G. If you search this form or ask for help doing so there have been posts with more details .

Good Luck

How about a removal pod made to look like a drop tank mounted on hard points on the bottom of the fuselage? And let's have it haul clubs in the summertime, too.

Mike V.

Ski tube

I like the idea of the heavy duty fabric sock. I also plan on reinforcing the bulkhead and having an access door on it.

I looked at using the lightening holes in the wings but my skis are too large to fit in there.

I also need to double check the cg but I'm going with the constant speed prop so I'm thinking it will work out.

If it helps with CG, you can switch from skis to a snowboard and save a couple pounds. :D

Please keep in mind when modifying the baggage bulkhead that this bulkhead IS a structural member of the fuselage.

It is structural primarily in "torsion". Any modification must maintain that torsional rigidity.

Please keep in mind when modifying the baggage bulkhead that this bulkhead IS a structural member of the fuselage.

It is structural primarily in "torsion". Any modification must maintain that torsional rigidity.

Definitely