ArlingtonRV

Well Known Member
So, there's this big Tulip Festival in Skagit County that goes the whole month of April. Every other year they even have a Fly-In / Air Show associated with it. So this year I actually went looking for some footage of it, it is after all only about 15 miles from home. The view from the air is not quite as spectacular as I'd hoped.

Turns out there are only about 4 tulip fields in amongst all of the farm fields. Must not be any great profit in tulips. Note the number of cars around the various fields though. This is a Wednesday afternoon about 4:00.

I know, it would look better without the smudge on the lens.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XMhHMyoV6eU

Same day...

Hey Steve,
I was there yesterday also (a rare clear, calm day). Flew my flower nut wife up there, she had your sentiments, was expecting more fields in bloom. I snapped a few stills:
P1040305_edited-1-L.jpg

P1040307_edited-1-L.jpg

P1040310_edited-1-L.jpg

Coming back into KPWT, I snapped a shot of these deactivated nuke subs (center). They cut the reactor compartments out and weld them back together, that's why they look so short. Bremerton is the only shipyard where this deactivation work is done. I am guessing that they leave them sitting there for the Rusky satellites:
P1040312_edited-1-L.jpg

Our RV-12 pal Bob, N737G, was doing test flights in the area. I showed him this picture of the subs. He has a way with words, said those old boats reminded him of us -- denutted and reminiscing about the good old days. But "hey", he said, "both us old farts went flying today, and they're down there - rusting away". Well said.

Tony

Tony,

Glad you could make it. You must have gone earlier in the day. I was up there about 4:00 and it was pretty bumpy. I was hoping to get some stills too, but I just didn't have enough hands to fly the airplane and operate a camera. Good pictures though.