cjensen

Well Known Member
For those of you with SJ pants, what kind of clearance do you have between the top of the tire and screw? Mine are REALLY close (like a 1/4" or so) to the top of the tire, and I'm fearing a slit tire, but I don't know how much the tire would flex as it rolls by the top of the pant. I can probably cut the screw back to get clearance to the plate nut, but that's about it...

Maybe I should move the screw??? :confused:

Shorten the screw!

I have an extra groove in my right side tire. Just grind the screw down to the minimum necessary. Only one is at or near the peak of the tire.

That's what I'll do then...my right side is the close one too...left has a bit more clearance, but I'll still grind the screw down. Thanks!

Screws

I found a nice groove in one of my tires one day and now use the shortest screws they make at those two locations with a little locktite. All good. Just for reference I took an old tire and cut it in section with a table saw to see how much was left when bald - LOTS! Same on the sidewall, plenty of meat there so the groove from the screw probably would have been OK, better without it though.

How are the wheel pants coming along?

Chad,

Obviously didn't make it to breakfast yesterday, just curious how the pants and fairings are coming along?

I am having a bit of trouble with the lightning hole bends, I made a tool, but it have a better plan now, intend to make a revised tool this evening. Have to cut firewood while the wind isn't blowing.

Tuesday? Wednesday? Any ideas?

Ben

Goin good...just posted pics of today's work in the other install thread.

I have my tool in the Jeep for when I come over...I think Tuesday works for me!

I will plan for Tuesday then.

I will plan for Tuesday unless I hear different from you.