Ingo Weise

Hi,

I'm finally ready to order my empannage and toolkit. What are the size and weight of the Avery toolkit crate.

Thank You!

Ingo Weise said:
What are the size and weight of the Avery toolkit crate.
"The Avery RV tool kit ships in two boxes (17X12X11 inches and 27X10X9 inches). The smaller box weighs about 40 pounds and the larger box weighs about 30 pounds."

I had some small extras, but I quess they were able to put the stuff on their standard boxes (those above). I don't have packets here that I could really check that they were size they promised -- I was happy that the quote for shipping was hundreds more than actual cost. :)

EDIT:

You seem to be from Europe too so I'll give you some details of my last spring order (tools+emp).

Quotes I got were:

Quote for shipping (tools) from Avery to Europe: ~$165 - $175.
Quote for shipping (tools) from Avery to Van's: $30 - $40.
Quote for shipping (emp) from Avery to Europe: ~$300
Quote for shipping (emp+tools) from Avery to Europe: ~$390

Actual costs when I asked Avery to deliver my tools to Van's which would send all four packages together here:

Shipping (tools) from Avery to Van's: less than $50 (Can't remember exact price.)
Shipping (tools+emp) from Van's to Europe: $282

TOTAL: ~$330. Not bad compared to the quotes... but it's defenitely comes cheaper to send all together than separate packages. It takes few days more time, but you ain't going to build your plane in few days so why don't save some bucks.

Good luck and get yourself a xmas gift you won't forget!

Last edited:
Toolbox recommendation?

I had planned to order the Avery toolkit as well, and was thinking it is probably a good idea to get a nice, rolling toolbox with drawers to put everything in, rather than leaving it all strewn across whatever flat surface I may have in the "aircraft manufacturing facility."

Does anyone have any recommendations on what has worked well for them? How much toolbox space does the Avery kit, plus assorted other items I'm sure I will have to accomodate, would take?

My wife likes to say I'm in the "tool accumulation phase" of building... though I'm guessing that stage will last until I'm done (and perhaps longer... I like my tools)! :D

java said:
Does anyone have any recommendations on what has worked well for them? How much toolbox space does the Avery kit, plus assorted other items I'm sure I will have to accomodate, would take?
This the tool chest I'll probably get this week.

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/displayitem.taf?Itemnumber=90320

I've been looking for quite a while, but haven't found anything else comparable in the same price range. Home Depot has one that appears to be identical, but is $200 more expensive.

Most of the ones I've found at Sears, Lowes, etc are only 27". I like that this one is wider, so you can lay plans on the top, or use it to lay various parts.

If anyone has a better suggestion, I'm all ears. I'm planning on ordering my tools and empennage this coming week.

The 40" Craftsman is nicer, but it depends on how much you'll use it. I did A&P work for a living when I bought mine, but it was 40" wide, ball bearing slides with latches, and it cost me about $600 after sale and rebates. You can also go and see if there are any returns at your local sears, they can go for up to 40% off regular price if you negotiate with the tool department manager.