tegwilym

I have a problem now that's bugging me. Last week my chuck on the Sioux DR1412 (6,000 rpm) fell off and landed on the floor. I put it back on and then it wouldn't turn and was jammed in pretty tight against the body of the drill. I then noticed a washer on the floor and realized that was supposed to be in behind the chuck to give it room to rotate.

So....I emailed Cleaveland tools, and Mike showed me how to get the chuck off by a sharp blow with handle of a hammer and an allen wrench in the chuck. All was well then and it worked. (Or seemed ok at first)

Ok now the problem. I noticed vibration and the bit wobbles slightly when running. I figured I tweaked the chuck yanking on it trying to get it off and bent the teeth. I ordered a new one and it's still wobbling. So it appears that I bend the power shaft of the drill! Arrrrgh!!
I see some on Ebay that are 2,600 for about $150. Would this be fast enough to get good enough holes as a quick replacement? I'll send the other drill in for warranty repair - hoping my screw up is still covered. Then I'll have 2 drills and can leave a #40 and #30 in each one. Handy! But just at a standstill with work right now. :(

Advice?

Thanks!
Tom
http://www.mykitlog.com/tomtraci

Last edited:
It'll Be Just Fine

A little slower, is all. I have both and use the 2,600 rpm one as my commonly-changed drill, with the 6,000 rpm drill always having the #40 bit in it. A third drill always has the #30 bit.

Dave

A little slower, is all. I have both and use the 2,600 rpm one as my commonly-changed drill, with the 6,000 rpm drill always having the #40 bit in it. A third drill always has the #30 bit.

Dave

Thanks for the tips! I guess the slower drill will do ok. I'll see if I can send the bent one in and hope it's covered under warranty since the thing just fell off on it's own? I guess they are associated with Snap-On tools from what I hear, and they have a good warranty.
I'll see what I can find on Ebay I think.

Tom